Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cobra lily - my nemesis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just grow mine with the other Nepenthes (intermediate/highland). Potted in all LFS. No saucer no nothing. It gets watered every morning like everything else.

I think you guys are really making things way more difficult than it needs to be. Starting with a plant from one of them cubes from the hardware store is probably half the problem. Most of the time they are on their way out already, even if they don't necessarily look all that bad in the store.

I would plant them in a large clay (unglazed) pot (8" or so) with nothing but New Zealand/Chilean LFS. Then stick that on a saucer capable of holding a couple inches of water. Keep some water in the saucer at all times and water LIBERALLY daily from overhead allowing the water to overflow the saucer. The rest of the day the unglazed clay pot will wick water and evaporate off the surface of the clay, helping to keep the sphagnum cooler.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can do that! Thanks. I'll buy another and try it that way. I will leave the other right where it is. I know what you mean by being on the way out, even though they appear to be okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bust in but I've been interested in purchasing one of these plants to feed my CP addiction. Tony - you had mentioned using an unglazed pot. Won't the clay contain minerals and other substances that will kill CPs? Other than that I like that approach. Would the AM hours be the best time to water and would it do better indoors or out? Thanks. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A regular clay pot should pose no problem for cps. Not with the amount of water that will be needed on a daily basis! Much more important will be high quality water very low in dissolved minerals. The evaporation off the outside of the pot will very quickly build up minerals if it is not flushed heavily from above every day.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aslong as you buy a brand new unglazed pot you will never have a problem with mineral build up even in a normal tray situation as long as you use RO water. ive been growing U. sandersonii in and on an unglazed pot sitting in a tray of water. i get some algae build up but never mineral build up. using one s Tony suggests will never cause a problem
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (elgecko @ July 24 2005,2:59)]Oh Scott, just grow your Cobra Lily indoors. Away from the raging stream and blazing summertime heat. Mine enjoys the safe windowsill location in the airconditioned house.

Here's a recently updated pic of the infamous stream.

In the meantime, I just bought another cobra lily and have it re-potted and residing at the front desk at the lab. So far so good. The one in the stream is still in shock.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    Where's the 50 lbs pot of rocks?
    Such a quite little stream. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That picture was taken in April, by a co-worker, along with others. The disk just came back last week. It pre-dates my latest experiment. That pic would make a good avatar, I think.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast