Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cobra lily - my nemesis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I just tossed the cobra lily from the 50 lbs of rocks set up. We never did a significant rain this summer, so the set up never got tested.

However, the cobra lily I bought from Lowes and placed, like a hanging basket set up at the lab's front desk - is doing wonderfully well. Combining the best of Elgecko & Tony Paroubek's advice, the plant has thrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small cobra from seed growing well and I am in sunny Miami Florida... about 100 germinated only one survived the 90F heat! But it is and has been doing VERY well! possibly a strain more resistant to heat??

In any case it is indoors in the garage with some other CP's under compat flouros and looking nice [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

-Jc
    Heliamphora ... A genus that intrigues me and fills me with joy!

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was yours from a collector? I'm confident that mine are typical tissue culture, and not as hardy. But a lot of the problem with these Lowes cubes is that by the time one gets a plant, it has long since been neglected, making acclimation a challenge.

The one in the lab is doing well, happily producing new pitchers. It seems to like being treated as if it were a Nep in a hanging basket.

No more experiments... for now. *and the entire Darlingtonia community breathes a collective sigh of relief*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we do! LOL Just kidding. Honestly I am amazed at how different experiences with a single species can be. The Darlintonia I bought from Lowes this spring was one of my first CPs, and it is doing fine. Artifical lights, 50/50 LFS and peat, and RO water kept in the fridge just for it. Watering top down. It's growing amazingly well. It may get repotted into a larger pot next spring (it's in a 7" pot now).

On the other hand, I've killed the 'weed' capensis I tried to grow that others swear is impossible to get rid of. *shrug*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, I just noticed this morning that my Darlingtonia is sending up a little baby runner at the edge of the pot... This late in the year? Oh well...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm happy to report my stream setup is doing great! only one out of three survived, but the one that's left has a strong root system and grew about 5-7 new traps. smaller than the original ones but it's alive! the water stays about 3 inches from the rim of the pot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint, I'm sure it's written down somewhere, but could you provide us with more detail or a picture? Not that I am planing to re-visit this approach...

Anoxos: Congratulations on the new growth! So now you have a new plant for next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had 9" of rain on Saturday, remnants of T.S. Tammy, and there was a lot of flooding - but we weren't affected. Today, I noticed that the former cobra lily set up, for the one that ultimately died, was still in its place, unaffected by the infamous stream. There was no plant in the pot, so I'll never know if the torrents would have been uprooted. In the meantime, the back up cobra lily is doing just fine, sending up new leaves. I will bringing that one home to ease it into dormancy - away from that steam!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast