Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra lily - my nemesis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re-inspired by BobZ's picture a couple weeks ago in another topic, I decided to buy yet another Lowes cube of Cobra Lily. first I had to get rid of, I mean re-pot the VFT & D. adelae.

I thought I had this cobra lily thing beat when I has seedlings in a mini-bog setup. They were doing just fine until I decided to take some advice and poke drainage holes in the pail, toward the bottom. Within a week, they all shriveled up.

I am re-visiting a former failed variable - the infamous stream. I have made modifications. I am still using a Sterilite container, with all those holes. but this time, I put the cobra lily in a larger pot, with that plastic collar still emplaced, to hold everything in. But now I have rocks - BIG ROCKS - weighing down the Sterilite - like 30 lbs worth. I also put smaller stones on top of the collar, covering as much as I can. It aint going anywhere this time!!! I now achieved cool, running water over its roots, and a bit more permanence.

Wish me luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it will work,keep us posted!By next summer I will have some sort of setup for my cobra lily,90f-100f temps,it will have some sort of running water system.Anybody grow them in hot temps?

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't that stream overflow in the spring or after a big rainstorm? If it does, those 30 pound rocks aren't going to hold it there. Just a thought.....
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Scott, just grow your Cobra Lily indoors. Away from the raging stream and blazing summertime heat. Mine enjoys the safe windowsill location in the airconditioned house.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, I'll try that after this experiment fails. In the meantime, I added about 20 more ponds of rockage. It aint going anywhere!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to try the dual pot method with my cobra's I got from Lowes as an experiment. I'm going to put the pot the Cobra's are in, into a bigger pot filled with 50/50 Sand/LFS. I'm then going to cut the bigger pot so it's just an inch or so higher than the smaller pot, and bury the little pot inside the bigger pot. What I'm thinking is that by doing this dual pot method, in return the roots will stay cooler.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to experiment around to find the best way to grow cobra lilies here in San Diego.
    I was reading Savage Garden and it said to use a light colored glazed ceramic pot. So I went out and bought one(not cheap either). I have 3 darlingtonia in there and 1 in a white plastic pot sitting outside, and 1 in my indoor greenhouse sitting in a waterfall thingy.
    I do not add chilled water to any of the pots, and the temps are getting up in the upper 80's here. The 2 pots I have outside are in a tray with about an inch and a half of water in it. There is also a cephalotus in the tray with the cobra lilies, and it is growing too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The ones in the ceramic pot are doing excellent! Lots of new pitchers coming up.
    The one in the smaller white plastic pot, which sits in the same tray as the ceramic pot, is alive, but not showing any new growth. I pulled some of the live sphagnum out of the way and I see new roots growing.....
    The cobra lilies in the waterfall is history.....
    I will post pics as soon as I find a new hosting site.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the plant you starting off with is the problem. They are young and have shallow roots, so the top of the soil is heated up too much in the sun. You'd be better off with a big cobra that has its roots sitting in the water at all times.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast