What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The aphid dunk

So aphids mannaged to get into my apartment and attack my plants. Although they think my deadly nightshades are extra scrumptious, they also like my Sarracenia leucophylla x psittacina "Scarlet Belle". So I submerged the plant (in distilled water, of course).

My question is, how long do I leave it under water? Is 48 hours long enough?

2 days should be sufficient. Check to see if the aphids are still around the crown and new growth. Sarr's like to be flooded so a few days underwater is nothing to them. If your aphid problem isn't gone in 3 days, I'd suggest using Ortho Systemic Insect Killer. It comes in a concentrated bottle that you can find at most garden centers, lowes or home depot. It's safe for your plants, kills the aphids on contact, and immunizes your plants for up to 4 weeks from future aphid attacks.

I have a question. This has been bugging me for years. If you submerge the pot and all, how in the hell does all the dirt not leave into the water?

An already moistened pot media stays put pretty well.

Sometimes the dirt does float up, if there is too much medium that you've lost, just pour the water slowly back into the pot, and let the water drain out.

*smacks head*

Back