What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pitcher plant owner

I am a longtime viewer or this site and I have done tons of research about these plants.  So I finally go out to Lowes and by some plants, one of them was a pitcher plant (sorry I don't know the real name) that was white on top with red vienes and the pitchers were almost completly hooded.  

Anyway, after getting it home I drilled holes in the bottom of the square pot and put it in the sun in a tray filled with distilled water.  So far it hasent moved, when I bought it there were tons of little pitchers on it and they are all still there but they havent grown at all and whats weird is that half way up some of the undeveloped pitchers they have turned blood red.  Is this normal?  I have only had them for 4 days but I think this is odd.  Also I live in Texas if that makes any difference.

-Rail

CCFC, the pitchers normally color up in sunlight. As with VFT's, sun plays a huge role in their coloration. Some pitcher plants remain green with fine veining to heavy veining, while others take on reds and purples, and in the case of the Texas pitcher plant populations, an occasional orange one is thrown. If you wish to learn a great deal about thse plants, study them in the natural habitat. Need the counties the plants grow in? Need any addresses of Texas growers??

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you have a S. leucophylla. No growth is probably expected, since it's environment has changed it may be going through some shock. The red on the pitchers may be slight sunburn. Usually, it's a good idea to harden them off by slowly introducing them to strong sun- especially in Texas. Keep it sheltered for a while, away from the strongest sun and heat, and let it adjust. It should recover fairly well.

Cole

Cole, I don't baby the plants that way. With pinguicula, and sundews, yes, but the size and strength of these sun lovers needs to be addressed. Stick'em in the sun. The blood red, if a burn, will brown up real soon, and the leaf will die. Don't worry about that. New leaves will come, and they will immediately adjust to the conditions. Cole does have a point on being burned, but I reserve the adjustment treatment for seedlings only. The larger plants are pretty tough.

Oh OK I will do that S. leucophylla dos'nt quite look like the one I have. But I get the idea. I will move all of my plants onto the porch and slowly get them back out in the sun. I also got a sundew and a purple pitcher plant and, following the advise on these forum, they have taken off doing great. So thanks guys.

Bugweed, what countys around here do they grow well? I'm in Dallas, is that a good area to keep them outside?

-Rail

LOL we posted at the same time. So I can keep it out there and just bring in the sundews? What about VFT's I have one that I just bought sitting on the porch munching on bugs like crazy. Kinda sad seeing the little bug trying to escape
confused.gif
but oh well

-Rail

CCFC, Robertson County has thousands of plants in one stand. It is the last stand of pitcher plants heading west into Texas. More is in the east, and I will dig out all my info, and give it to you. Plus, Leon County, Texas has a really unique stand of these plants, and a few of my boys will be making a trip there in August. Interested?

Hell yeah I'm interested. You got an adress? I might be able to meet you guys there, when are you leaving?

-Rail

You probably have a 'Dana's Delight' or 'Judith Hindle'.

These plants become very red and if they do, you are giving them all the sunlight they need and like. Most posts ask why their plant is staying green!

LOL yeah I guess being in Texas is gonna bring out ALL the color in that thing. What is about the turn around time on these plants from initial shock to growing like crazy?

-Rail

Oh and I found out it is a Dana's Delight.

-Rail

Not too long. Not all sarras grow none stop throughout the season though. I don't know the particulars of 'Dana's Delight', but it seems to have a lot of leucophylla in it. It will possibly look its best in September and October.

quick update, my 'Dana's Delight' is staying the same color as it was when I bought it ( white pitchers with red viens ) but those pitchers are starting to die off and these red spikes are coming up from the center.  I guess those are the new and improved Texas ready pitchers.  Dos this mean my plant will be red from now on?

Also I noticed that my purple pitcher plant has stayed green but now has a small pitcher growing on the side, that tiny thing already has TONS of color, kinda orangish purple.  I can't wait to see it all grown up.

Thanks for all the help guys I couldent have done it without you.

-Rail

CCFC, The color of the growing point actually has little to do with the final color. They can be red up until the moment of opening when suddenly, the pitcher's red may fade (not saying yours will) and it will be green and gorgeous, or the red deepens, and your eyes are assaulted with beauty! Time, experience, and knowledge is what you will gain as you march down the line growing these plants. Then you throw in your 2 cents on the knowledge you have gained.

i have a rubra that didn't come out of shock for a month then again i have a leocophyla who's entire mass of pitchers simply wilted and died after a day, then a 3 days later the plant started to grow alarmingly fast, a week later i had the same plant i started with. i have also heard leocophyla grow slowly, i have no clue ar to what they are talking about
confused.gif
they grow just as fast as rubra i have and mardi gras i had.

happy growing
smile.gif

Bugweed, you are awsome. Thanks again for the help.

-Rail

Back