Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pitcher plant owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a longtime viewer or this site and I have done tons of research about these plants. So I finally go out to Lowes and by some plants, one of them was a pitcher plant (sorry I don't know the real name) that was white on top with red vienes and the pitchers were almost completly hooded.

Anyway, after getting it home I drilled holes in the bottom of the square pot and put it in the sun in a tray filled with distilled water. So far it hasent moved, when I bought it there were tons of little pitchers on it and they are all still there but they havent grown at all and whats weird is that half way up some of the undeveloped pitchers they have turned blood red. Is this normal? I have only had them for 4 days but I think this is odd. Also I live in Texas if that makes any difference.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CCFC, the pitchers normally color up in sunlight. As with VFT's, sun plays a huge role in their coloration. Some pitcher plants remain green with fine veining to heavy veining, while others take on reds and purples, and in the case of the Texas pitcher plant populations, an occasional orange one is thrown. If you wish to learn a great deal about thse plants, study them in the natural habitat. Need the counties the plants grow in? Need any addresses of Texas growers??
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you have a S. leucophylla. No growth is probably expected, since it's environment has changed it may be going through some shock. The red on the pitchers may be slight sunburn. Usually, it's a good idea to harden them off by slowly introducing them to strong sun- especially in Texas. Keep it sheltered for a while, away from the strongest sun and heat, and let it adjust. It should recover fairly well.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cole, I don't baby the plants that way. With pinguicula, and sundews, yes, but the size and strength of these sun lovers needs to be addressed. Stick'em in the sun. The blood red, if a burn, will brown up real soon, and the leaf will die. Don't worry about that. New leaves will come, and they will immediately adjust to the conditions. Cole does have a point on being burned, but I reserve the adjustment treatment for seedlings only. The larger plants are pretty tough.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh OK I will do that S. leucophylla dos'nt quite look like the one I have. But I get the idea. I will move all of my plants onto the porch and slowly get them back out in the sun. I also got a sundew and a purple pitcher plant and, following the advise on these forum, they have taken off doing great. So thanks guys.

Bugweed, what countys around here do they grow well? I'm in Dallas, is that a good area to keep them outside?

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL we posted at the same time. So I can keep it out there and just bring in the sundews? What about VFT's I have one that I just bought sitting on the porch munching on bugs like crazy. Kinda sad seeing the little bug trying to escape [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] but oh well

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CCFC, Robertson County has thousands of plants in one stand. It is the last stand of pitcher plants heading west into Texas. More is in the east, and I will dig out all my info, and give it to you. Plus, Leon County, Texas has a really unique stand of these plants, and a few of my boys will be making a trip there in August. Interested?
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yeah I'm interested. You got an adress? I might be able to meet you guys there, when are you leaving?

-Rail
    My life sucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast