Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S. flava got a visitor...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nevermore @ Aug. 18 2005,11:31)]Do grasshoppers munch on pitchers? over the last night several pitchers have large chunks eaten out, new and old. It is ruff edged too... not smooth, like the few slugs do, that have ever made it accross the water tray somehow to eat. There are plenty of grasshoppers around though.
    It sounds like you could have the Tortrix moth larva on your plant somewhere. Have a look and see if you can see a web on the pitchers anywhere. sometimes it will be holding two pitchers together. If you have, it will have a very small green caterpillar inside. It looks too small to do too much damage but it has a voracious appetite and can destroy large pitchers overnight. Often they are not noticed until they have almost destroyed a whole plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahaha, that guy is just chillin' there [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Even if you wanted him to be plant food, he seems a bit too big to even fit in that pitcher. Lucky bug [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I found the Tortrix Moth larva... i had a Capensis in an individual pot sitting between my 2 large pots which had damage on both sarrs. I moved it to the ground away from the pots the other week and I hadn't seen damage since. There was a small tight web at the base of the plant.. pulled it apart and there was the small green lava... so small... it did a ton of damage. Thanks for the info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12