What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava got a visitor...

My neighbors think I'm nuts as I check my CPs before cashing in and I'm outside at midnight whipping around a flashlight taking snapshots of plants. Anyway, I spotted this guy loitering on one of my S. flava's pitchers and though it'd make a nice shot. I didn't have calipers with me but I'd estimate this guy to measure close 2.5 inches. (that's a new pitcher that just opened up to the left - YAY!)

grasshopper.jpg

Thats a cool way to describe it!
laugh.gif
At first I thought you were talking about some guy with a machete and you had a pistol or sumthin.

Let us know the outcome!

I shooo'd him away after I took the pic. This guy was too cool to be plant food. Even for a little poser.
smile_n_32.gif

Very Nice picture! Yay!

Do grasshoppers munch on pitchers? over the last night several pitchers have large chunks eaten out, new and old. It is ruff edged too... not smooth, like the few slugs do, that have ever made it accross the water tray somehow to eat. There are plenty of grasshoppers around though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nevermore @ Aug. 18 2005,11:31)]Do grasshoppers munch on pitchers? over the last night several pitchers have large chunks eaten out, new and old. It is ruff edged too... not smooth, like the few slugs do, that have ever made it accross the water tray somehow to eat. There are plenty of grasshoppers around though.
It sounds like you could have the Tortrix moth larva on your plant somewhere. Have a look and see if you can see a web on the pitchers anywhere. sometimes it will be holding two pitchers together. If you have, it will have a very small green caterpillar inside. It looks too small to do too much damage but it has a voracious appetite and can destroy large pitchers overnight. Often they are not noticed until they have almost destroyed a whole plant.

Hahahaha, that guy is just chillin' there
smile_n_32.gif

Even if you wanted him to be plant food, he seems a bit too big to even fit in that pitcher. Lucky bug
biggrin.gif

Well I found the Tortrix Moth larva... i had a Capensis in an individual pot sitting between my 2 large pots which had damage on both sarrs. I moved it to the ground away from the pots the other week and I hadn't seen damage since. There was a small tight web at the base of the plant.. pulled it apart and there was the small green lava... so small... it did a ton of damage. Thanks for the info

Back