Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the heat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke too soon. Today it will be 102 with a heat index of 110. Ouch, I am gonna bring all my neps inside and bring the others to the porch. Looks like the heat is only begining. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 21 2005,7:35)]that's not true. otherwise we would all burn to death when we are at the beach.
    I never said burn to death., but the plants could suffer damage. I think you will find if you are wet on a sunny beach you burn a lot quicker than you would if you were dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CCFC, Leave the Sarracenia in the sun and in the heat. As long as the humidity is up above 60%, they will love it. VFT's can handle it too, so don't worry. Drosera such as brevifolia or capillaris can also handle it. Southern d. intermedia can also benefit from the sunbathing. The nep is out of my experience. I have not grown neps for quite some time. But too hot is bad for them, that much I remember. Give the plants a chance. You live in an excellent growing area. I think you are within 50 miles of an s. alata stand in Robertson County. (Note the I think. Its been a long time since I have been there.)
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I am within about 50 miles. So far everything BUT the Nep's have been fine. See, the problem with all this heat is that the humidity has been dropping pretty quick. Tommarow it's gonna be very hot with humidity in the 30's [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] . Today it was around 50% but I don't know what to do b/c it's not any more humid in the house. Today the heat evaporated every last drop of water in all my trays, that sucks. I have to buy about 3 times as much water as you guys so I'm doing a test to see is a VFT and a baby Sarr. can take tap water. Am I right in assuming that a tray of water (evaporating in the heat [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] ) can improve local humidity for the plant? Wish me luck guys.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CCFC, my babies live outdoors 24/7 even when the humidity is only 15 or 20%. Worst that happens is a crispy hood, not much else. Leave them alone. Our temps get into the 105's to 110's. STILL growing!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I will stop freaking out. Every thing looks fine outside even the plants getting tap water. In fact they are showing the most new growth, wierd. I was sure they would be dieing by now but they are doing great. The Nep's seem to have stopped growth completly but they are still green and healthy looking. Today I bought a 10gal auarium that I plan to terraform just for my 2 Nep's that have been through so much.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the extra heat raised their rate of photosynthesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tap water is the ONLY thing that I am worried about.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast