What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here comes the heat

We are about to get a heat wave so for the next week it will be in the upper 90's and 100+. Humidity will also be very high in the upper 80's. My CP's are outside in full sun so what should I do (if anything) about the heat? Temps have been high anyway so I just mist them ALOT. Thanks

-Rail

Oh yeah I have 2 unknown Neps, 3 Drosera adelae, a Sarr. purpurea, Scarlet Belle, and rubra. Also 3 VFT's and so far they have been fine with temps in the low 90's.

-Rail

Your neps will probably have a problem with the heat. All the rest will be fine. High heat/humidity will usually bring out the intense color that a sarr can produce.

If your cps are outside in full sun you may be best not to mist them. The sun could burn the leaves as it magnifies the water droplets.

that's not true. otherwise we would all burn to death when we are at the beach.

Your profile says you're in Dallas. Doesn't that mean a week of upper 90s and 100+ is a pretty normal August? The high humidity will mean high nighttime temperatures, which would be brutal for highland Neps. Maybe mist & bring them in at night, assuming you have an air conditioner.

I wouldn't let the Drosera adelae sit out in temperatures that high. I've found that Lance-Leaf Sundews don't appreciate anything much higher than 95 degrees. During one of our California heat waves, my terrariums climbed up into the 100s and my Lance-Leafs didn't fare too well.

So far they have all been fine outside.  Today it was 102 and they showed no sign of slowing down growth or anything.  I mist the Nep's constantly and they seem fine, even have new leaves growing on them.  All of the plants appear to be doing fine.  The Drosera adelae lose a lot of dew during the day but every morning they have tons of dew and seem to have no problem catching bugs.  All in all, every plant seems like they don't care what the temp is, to them it's business as usual.  It is cool seeing the intense color though, and we have a cold front coming in that will lower temps into the high 80's to mid 90's that the plants are use to.  Thanks guys.

-Rail

I spoke too soon. Today it will be 102 with a heat index of 110. Ouch, I am gonna bring all my neps inside and bring the others to the porch. Looks like the heat is only begining.
smile_h_32.gif

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 21 2005,7:35)]that's not true. otherwise we would all burn to death when we are at the beach.
I never said burn to death., but the plants could suffer damage. I think you will find if you are wet on a sunny beach you burn a lot quicker than you would if you were dry.

CCFC, Leave the Sarracenia in the sun and in the heat. As long as the humidity is up above 60%, they will love it. VFT's can handle it too, so don't worry. Drosera such as brevifolia or capillaris can also handle it. Southern d. intermedia can also benefit from the sunbathing. The nep is out of my experience. I have not grown neps for quite some time. But too hot is bad for them, that much I remember. Give the plants a chance. You live in an excellent growing area. I think you are within 50 miles of an s. alata stand in Robertson County. (Note the I think. Its been a long time since I have been there.)

Yeah I am within about 50 miles. So far everything BUT the Nep's have been fine. See, the problem with all this heat is that the humidity has been dropping pretty quick. Tommarow it's gonna be very hot with humidity in the 30's
smile_h_32.gif
. Today it was around 50% but I don't know what to do b/c it's not any more humid in the house. Today the heat evaporated every last drop of water in all my trays, that sucks. I have to buy about 3 times as much water as you guys so I'm doing a test to see is a VFT and a baby Sarr. can take tap water. Am I right in assuming that a tray of water (evaporating in the heat
smile_h_32.gif
) can improve local humidity for the plant? Wish me luck guys.

-Rail

CCFC, my babies live outdoors 24/7 even when the humidity is only 15 or 20%. Worst that happens is a crispy hood, not much else. Leave them alone. Our temps get into the 105's to 110's. STILL growing!

OK, I will stop freaking out. Every thing looks fine outside even the plants getting tap water. In fact they are showing the most new growth, wierd. I was sure they would be dieing by now but they are doing great. The Nep's seem to have stopped growth completly but they are still green and healthy looking. Today I bought a 10gal auarium that I plan to terraform just for my 2 Nep's that have been through so much.

-Rail

the extra heat raised their rate of photosynthesis.

The tap water is the ONLY thing that I am worried about.

The optimum temperature for photosynthesis is 30C (86F). After this it declines, so 40C is probably the same as 20C-25C for efficiency.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Aug. 25 2005,11:22)]The tap water is the ONLY thing that I am worried about.
I've been worried about it too. Those two plants have been just fine with nearly 3 months worth of tap water. Showing exelent new growth, maybie I'm one of the lucky ones who has safe tap water. All my other plants still get RO water though.

-Rail

consider your self lucky the heat of my bog is usualy 110, or at least the surface of the peat is, the venus flytraps dont stop clumping, the leucophylia grow much faster, with much more vigore and color, the rubras slow there growth and the life of a pitcher doubles, the sundews hate it but they deal, i dont know if this is beneficial but it dose change there way of growth, this global warming stuff is drying my other gardens as well.
smile_h_32.gif

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you should never water any plant onto the leaves when it's sunny. That's why gardeners water in the evening.

Back