Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the heat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are about to get a heat wave so for the next week it will be in the upper 90's and 100+. Humidity will also be very high in the upper 80's. My CP's are outside in full sun so what should I do (if anything) about the heat? Temps have been high anyway so I just mist them ALOT. Thanks

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah I have 2 unknown Neps, 3 Drosera adelae, a Sarr. purpurea, Scarlet Belle, and rubra. Also 3 VFT's and so far they have been fine with temps in the low 90's.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your neps will probably have a problem with the heat. All the rest will be fine. High heat/humidity will usually bring out the intense color that a sarr can produce.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your cps are outside in full sun you may be best not to mist them. The sun could burn the leaves as it magnifies the water droplets.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's not true. otherwise we would all burn to death when we are at the beach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your profile says you're in Dallas. Doesn't that mean a week of upper 90s and 100+ is a pretty normal August? The high humidity will mean high nighttime temperatures, which would be brutal for highland Neps. Maybe mist & bring them in at night, assuming you have an air conditioner.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't let the Drosera adelae sit out in temperatures that high. I've found that Lance-Leaf Sundews don't appreciate anything much higher than 95 degrees. During one of our California heat waves, my terrariums climbed up into the 100s and my Lance-Leafs didn't fare too well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far they have all been fine outside. Today it was 102 and they showed no sign of slowing down growth or anything. I mist the Nep's constantly and they seem fine, even have new leaves growing on them. All of the plants appear to be doing fine. The Drosera adelae lose a lot of dew during the day but every morning they have tons of dew and seem to have no problem catching bugs. All in all, every plant seems like they don't care what the temp is, to them it's business as usual. It is cool seeing the intense color though, and we have a cold front coming in that will lower temps into the high 80's to mid 90's that the plants are use to. Thanks guys.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast