Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia in pure sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow them in a mix of LFS and sponge rock. They have much, much nicer root systems with spong rock in there. I figure it improves aeration and reduces compaction. Oh, and it's ecologically friendly (I hope) and much cheaper than LFS.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow every cp in sphagnum moss. 100%, unless I run out of it, then I use orchid mix. Everything grows pefectly. It's the perfect media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your responses. It appears that that is settled, I can feel confident to repot my Sarras in sphagnum this weekend.

Cheers, Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFS rocks for darlingtonia too.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL: you use 100% orchid mix?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 28 2005,4:14)]LOL: you use 100% orchid mix?
    and what is 'orchid mix'?
    I have never heard of such a thing, unless hes talking about those 'mixes' for orchids in garden centres which are actually disastrous for orchids.....lol
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not 100% orchid mix. when I run out of sphagnum, I use whatever I have left. Unfortunately, I had to use some sphagnum with orchid mix (bark chips,perlite,charcoal, and very peaty) for my S. flava. I'm starting to think that was a mistake...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight peat works well. Pure sphagnum also works well. I have found sarracenia in both peat and LFS, as well as sandy peat. The plants in pure peat or LFS looked the best. Barry Rice asked me to do an experiment with s. psittacinas he got from Florida. The plants he showed me never grew more than 1 1/2 inches across. I told him to change their media, but he wanted to see if I could do better. I told him that s. psittacina really like it very wet, and the soil base very loose. The largest s. psittacina grew mostly submerged in the wild, and the base was peat. It was so wet, you could call it muck. Well, I took these little tiny plants home with me, and put them in a peaty base, and submerged the plants under water. Before the end of the growing season, they doubled in size to three inches. Dormancy followed. The following year, the size increased to 6 and 7 inch across plants. I showed them to Barry on July 18th this year (exactly one year later), and he could not believe his eyes. They look good! He then informed me that he grew his in sandy peat with a sand to peat ratio of 4:1. 4 parts sand to 1 part peat. Much too heavy for s. psittacina, and a lot of other sarrs too. More peat/LFS than sand is always a better way to go. Barry said the 4 to 1 ratio was a mix they came up with that all forms of CP would grow in. Since cost at the University is a huge factor, they had to settle for a catch all mix. Much too heavy on the sand for many plants, though they can and will grow in it. How well they do, is another story.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast