Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia in pure sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings all,

As I'm not much of a Sarracenia grower (as you can tell from the handle, I'm a Nepenthes afficionado), but I go grow a few species, with mixed results. I've been growing them in a peat/vermiculite mix or pure peat. I know there are different types of peat and some aren't great for Sarras.

Anyway, how well do Sarras grow in pure sphagnum moss? As I used tonnes of it for my Nepenthes, it's an easy medium for me to use. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I haven't tried pure LFS. Is it live that you wish to use or the dried stuff? I think, but not 100 % certain, Sarras tend to grow in sandy / peaty soils, often in the water. My inclination and approach is to mix sand & peat and topdress with LFS. But wait for the more experienced growers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A small experiment was done by an experienced grower and the results presented in one of our meetings (the NECPS). He took several S. alatas from TC, and planted them in different medias. The live LFS worked best he said. However, the plant biologist in our group grows his plants in 1:1 peaterlite with some charcoal mixed in...his sarrs are awesome sights.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 1:1 sand peat mix and top dress with dried LFS.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it grows about the same, my S.. alata Covington, LA is in a sphagnum prelite mix 4:1 its growing faster than my S. Excellens which is in a peat sand mix
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use sphag as a media for Sarrs. Over the years I have used only sphag for oreophila and 'Dixie Lace' and they have done very well in it. I also tended to add anywhere between 25-75% sphag to all my Sarr mixes depending on how much I have kicking around.

Now that I am bog growing things have changed a bit but I do still have the oreophila in its own pocket of sphag.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use straight up lfs but then again I haven't been growing them in lfs long enough for conclusive results. But what I have seen so far I like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started growing Sarracenia in peat/sand mixes, but after seeing how well they did in pure LFS, I have switched to that for all of them.

Even my 60-gallon pond is filled with LFS.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast