Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi,
    Why do S.rubricorpora {red tube } and S.atropurpurea {all red } lose ther red color.? is there any way to maintain the red color.?

Regards [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]Growlist
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tannic tea will help. The simplest way to make tannic tea is to take 100% natural BLACK tea (no other) and allow it to cold brew in your watering jug. Water every day with it until you see results. How long to the results are dependant on your growing condition.If your conditions are not right, the color might not come back, tannic tea or not. As much as 8 hours of light are required, and heat and humidity. They all work together.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    What percentage of 100% black tea to water.? Or does it make any diffrance.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm....interesting. My S. flava var atropurpureas alternate between being a medium red and being mostly not red. My one S. flava var rubricorpora has maintained a super dark red for years as has my one S. flava var cuprea. Although I'm not a real fan of hybrids, I may go ahead and make some crosses between the red tube and the copper top just to see what happens. I think the liklihood of ending up with a non-fading all-red is extremely remote - but why not give it a shot?

On a slightly different note, I had one S. flava var rubricorpora not show any red this year until the last pitcher it sent up - last week! I was pretty much convinced that I mis-labeled it during my repotting - the only problem was it didn't look like any other plant in the collection. This is probably the 5th or 6th pitcher and the only one that's red....

Steve - you prefer the black tea vs the sphagnum peat tea? I haven't tried either yet but I may try some experiments next year.... I'd love to see the all-red get back close to it's original colors... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure tea makes any difference at all. Peat is acidic, whatever you do with it. Having peat sitting there doesn't make it turn alkaline.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvin, read Rob Saciloto's paper on tannic tea. It isn't the acid, it is the tannins in the tea that seem to make the difference. I use three or four bags of black tea to 3 gallons of water. It is easier to make and deal with than the other method, Ron. That is why I use it. Still no atro color this year here either, that is why it is time to mix the tea!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hi,
    Thats interesting, i would like to read Rob sacilotto's paper on tannic tea. How long would the black tea have to sit before using the three or four bags of black tea to 3 gallons of water.?

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any links to an online version of that paper?

Also, would adding tea leaves to the soil mix be advisable?

Might be interesting when i have some plants large enough to divide to have side-by-side clones growing in identical conditions except for the addition of tea to one, to see the effect on color.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast