What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another [rare] face at a garden centre

I came in to work early yesterday (Saturday) so decided to go on a stroll in the indoors section of the garden centre. I had been checking the CP table for a few weeks but the usual flowering, croaking VFTs occupied the half empty display.
We got a new shipment in of Sarracenia x stevensii, Drosera paradoxa, Nepenthes "alata" (ventrata), and a newcomer, Cephalotus follicularis (all from Holland as usual). I decided to save two from work, reason being that they weren't shabby at all for the price they were going at (plus my staff discount):
445C_follicularis.jpg

Big CP companies are quickly catching up, however I'll see if their quality lives up to that of the nursery-grown plants from home.

Amori

Wow! What a nice little plant. I haven't seen one of these guys in the US yet. Thanks for sharing your find and good fortune.

Cephs have certainly become more abundant.  I used to trade Ceph divisions for people's children.  Their nice kids; not the brats.  Now that Cephs are more common, no one will trade a child for one anymore, but people offer wives.  But my wife says I'm not allowed to have another, so I traded my Ceph for a Nep.

So how many wives equal one Ceph?
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 02 2005,4:52)]So how many wives equal one Ceph?  
smile_m_32.gif
more importntly whats the quality of the wives?
smile_n_32.gif

Oh... see... now you're throwing subjectivity into the equation here. I only deal with raw numbers. And you know what Woody Allen says, "Subjectivity is objectivity".

i dont know Jim, there are some wives i wouldnt take reguardless of quantity, quality has to come into play at some point

Hey, does Darla every read this?

sometimes, but no biggy she generally laughs a it. shes one where quality come over quantity, i really dont think i could handle more than one of her

LOL! That's good, you're really not supposed to anyway!

Dang, I would love to see an Australian Pitcher Plant at a garden center here in the US! I always tend to see the same old stuff, like Cape Sundews and Venus Flytraps. Not that they're bad plants (some of my favorites actually) but it'd be nice to see something cool like a Ceph once in a while. I wonder why the US doesn't see plants like that in nurseries...

LLeopardGGecko:
You must also realise that these plants are most likely of Dutch origin. They're mass-produced and wholesaled to well reputed garden centres all over Europe. The going price of these nice plants is GBP7.99, just under USD15.00. The pitchers are quite large (for what they are!) as can be seen from the pic I posted. Quite a competition I say.

You ever notice that US garden centers never have Cephs but always have a few wive wandering around?  They look like customers, but maybe somewhere husbands are sitting back, boots on the furniture, no coaster under the beer, a game on TV and a nice Ceph in the window.

Bruce, (can't pass this up!) I work at Home Dept on Saturdays. Yes, this phenomenon is clearly occurring. Coincidence... I think not! Hey, are you one of those guys?

No, I traded my Ceph for a Nep. Maybe I just wanted to avoid the temptation. Or maybe a 10th Nep is better than a 2nd wife.

I can't wait to see the bumper sticker that says that!
laugh.gif

Back