Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i put these babies to bed

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sarrs did fine. The VFT's had mixed results. The previous year I did the same with the VFT's only and they did very well. Go figure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I have some VFTs and Sarracenia that I have to overwinter here in Montana (zone 3, 4, or 5...depending on what mood nature is in). I'm thinking of using my garage because it stays cool, but doesn't freeze.
    Are low light levels a problem during dormancy? I could rig up an el cheapo fluorescent light to come on 5 hrs a day, but I don't know if it would be neccessary.

Brian

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low light levels is part of the dormancy equation of:

Reduced photoperiod
    + Reduced Temps.
    = Dormancy

A lot of people just put their plants into their unlit fridge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants do photosynthesize during dormancy, just at a very low rate. So low light is probably just just as good as strong light, but no light isn't. But plenty of people do the fridge thing and plants certainly survive.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, all....Thanks so much for your help. My plan was this..the more common sarrs I have, the S. purpureas(which are native to this area, anyway) I was going to put in my 18" inch deep covered window-wells with a maple leaf mulch, for the winter. The maple leaf mulch will be shredded, so it shouldn't compact as much as whole leaf mulch. I could also import oak leaf mulch, if you guys tell me it's better.

The rara avis I have are going to spend the winter in LauraZ5's garage. The oreophila, and the rubra gulfensis.

Bugweed, I gave up the trouble making for lent...unless someone really cheeses me off.....thanks!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!!!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If those window wells are covered so water and snow can't get down there then even maple leaves are probably OK. But if wind can't get in there either, I'd put in a thick layer of packing peanuts. I've been wanting to try them but don't want to chase them downwind. What's at the bottom of the window wells - is it loose enough you can sink pots into it?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom of the window-wells is gravel, i don't know how deep, but I know toads hibernate down there.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast