Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i put these babies to bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How should i begin preparing my sarrs for dormancy?
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, April!! (My favorite troublemaker! LOL!) Trim all dead leaves off the plant, and put them in a garage or similar place where they won't totally freeze, and put them up. Make sure they are protected from freezing, and let them mud it out for the winter. Come the first warm days of spring, do with them what you usually do, and let them come out for the spring. FLOWER SEASON!!!!!!!
    YAY!!!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they require low temps during dormancy? Winter temps around here are not much different than spring. But I have never heard of anyone putting Sarrs in the fridge.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CCFC, Folks put them in the fridge all the time. Give it a try if you think your winters are too warm. However, S. alata lives close to you, and requires dormancy, and do it every year. Put them outside, and see what they do. If they are still growing in mid-November, put'em in the fridge----quick.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperatures of 1-12C are good for dormancy.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Zone 6 CT, I dig a broad, shallow hole in a raised bed as a winter home for Sarrs, hardy orchids and various other things. I set the pots in the hole so that the rim of each pot is at least an inch or so above ground level, putting extra dirt under the shorter pots and using dirt to fill in around the pots.

I cover everything with oak leaves. Don't use maple leaves because they'll just mat down, losing their insulation value and suffocating the plants. The best leaves are thick and curl a bit when dry. I take a couple weeks to pile on all the leaves, adding a couple more inches every few days. I end up with 12" - 18" of leaves and pull the Sarr phylodia and pitchers up through the leaves.

The last step is that I put a landscape fabric covered lean-to over everything, to keep snow off the leaf pile. The first year I over-wintered Sarrs we didn't have much snow and everything was fine without the lean-to. The next year we had the normal few feet and the snow would melt a little on warm days and the water would freeze down below. By the time I thought about it, the plants and pots were encased in several inches of solid, leafy ice. I lost some plants and began using a lean-to to prevent that problem.

The plants are frozen under the leaves, but Sarrs don't need to be protected from freezing. They need to be protected from the most extreme cold and from repeated freezing and thawing. My plants freeze once and thaw once. They don't reach the -10F they'd see outside the leaves, but they must get pretty cold. One year we never went below 8F and the phylodia and pitchers sticking above the leaf pile stayed green the whole winter. They're tough plants.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Sep. 04 2005,11:36)]Do they require low temps during dormancy? Winter temps around here are not much different than spring. But I have never heard of anyone putting Sarrs in the fridge.

-Rail
    Last winter I put several Sarrs & VFT's in a fridge at the lab. They were in plastic trays, a little water, uncovered. In other words, open tray, in the fridge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they pull through OK? I'm debating between shelves along my basement windows or the fridge. Even my garage is open to temps below 10F being by the lake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast