What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My sarracenia are flowering

Ok i have 2 of my sarracenia budding from the bottom one is a rubra hybrid and the other is a flava x purpurea(oreophila) . i just looked today and they have a big bud at the bottom by the rhizome and they are coming up. I dont know what they can do this late in the year. I have been growing sarracenia for a year or two and these are new ones i got. Does this usually happen.

It does happen occasionally. After all, it is happening to you. They may still be able to flower and be pollinated, but you won't know until you try. Hows the flava I sent you?? Is it atropurp?

ill post a picture of it its doing good. It looks like heavy veined. this picture is a month ago and its alot better exept for the few caterpillers that nibbled on it along with a bunch of plants as a nest hatched in a close tree.

IMG_0949.jpg

Looks like flava var. flava to me, or at least it does at the moment.

Sarracenia can flower if it's turns cooler, then warmer, as in spring. Usually these flowers are shorter and the chances of them being deformed are higher.

CK, since I have no s. flava var. flava, I would say you have one of my atropurpurea. Go to the store (next year before flowering) and buy Red Rose Black Tea. 2 tea bags per gallon of water. Water the atropurpurea all spring long. The tannins in the tea will help it turn RED. All red. Buy enough tea to last you all spring. Once it turns red, it should stay that way. If it fades, go for the tea again.

I'm going to try that next year
smile.gif
Will ordinary tea bags work?

By the way, atropurpurea can lose its redness if it's repotted during growth. Keep it where it is and it should go redder next year.

Alvin, as long as it is BLACK tea, it should work fine.

My Sarracenia's are both flowering, and my Sarracenia X Catasbei's flower is already truning it's head down as if its about to open. If it flowers, will the plant survive the winter? Should i cut off the stalks or let them grow out

Oh yeah, sarras are fine flowering whenever. Setting seeds is what requires a lot of energy, but even then it won't cause a plant not to be able to survive dormancy.

Both my Marston Dwarf S. flava have flowered too. I am not pollinating them this time, but next year, I think I just might.

Back