Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing heliamphora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the genus Heliamphora quite beautiful, yet i have none in my collection.

How difficult is it to grow this genus? Are there particular species or hybrids that are tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions, that would be good for a Heliamphora newbie?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good newbie plant is H. heterodoxa x minor. My experience is that this is a pretty indestructible heliamphora. Pretty much all of them like highland-like conditions, i.e. cool temps at night. Can you provide this?

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H. heterodoxa x minor pretty indestructible?!

This is the only CP that has given me troubles. It finally looks like the 3rd times a charm for me.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wondered what the consensus is on that. For me, this plant grows like it really wants to be there. I recently divided up mine, and ended up knocking a few pitchers off with just a tiny bit of rhizome and no roots. Even those rooted for me. I think the cool days and nights year round are the key here. (Look in the trading forum in a month or two for these heliamphora!)

Hey, my H. neblinae flowered! Here's a pic:

And here's a little context picture for size. Apologies for the lousy photos:

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helis are a genus that is a bit more picky. ive got a H. minor thats doing ok. i purchased it from Tony this spring. its growing and spreading. i think ive got the humidity, watering and temps right but i dont think im giving it quite enough light. i would start out with the hybrid mentioned above and go from there.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with elgecko on the indestructible part.But I think it's where the plants came from that was the problem.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice. Can be finicky at times. If your ok with highland Nepenthes then your in the ballpark for Heliamphora. Well drained mix (lots of lfs with some chunky stuff), nice bright light, good humidity and cool temps and good water.

I think the biggest problem most people have is dealing with young, unestablished, or recent plants from TC. If your handling these kinds as opposed to larger more mature plants then some losses are a virtually given. Not to say that more mature plants won't be an occasional problem but odds are better they will settle in.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I'm not a Heliamphora expert, but I've had good success growing several different clones of H. heterodoxa x minor. I've found that each one responds a bit different. I have one clone that constantly puts out new pitchers, even if the nighttime temp doesn't go below 70F. This plant has put out 13+ pitchers in 3 months and there are still more forming. Another clone I have is extremely slow growing under the same conditions. In the same amount of time it has only produced 4 pitchers.

In my setup, the daytime high never exceeds 75F, and I think that helps prevent heat stress. Nighttime lows are 70F summer, and 60-65F during winter, fall, spring.

I'm hoping to divide my warm growing Heliamphora, so in the future I can have some plants available for trade. It's a great plant.

Is it ok to divide Heliamphora now? Mine is bursting out of its pot.
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast