What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing heliamphora

I find the genus Heliamphora quite beautiful, yet i have none in my collection.

How difficult is it to grow this genus? Are there particular species or hybrids that are tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions, that would be good for a Heliamphora newbie?

A good newbie plant is H. heterodoxa x minor. My experience is that this is a pretty indestructible heliamphora. Pretty much all of them like highland-like conditions, i.e. cool temps at night. Can you provide this?

Capslock

H. heterodoxa x minor pretty indestructible?!

This is the only CP that has given me troubles. It finally looks like the 3rd times a charm for me.

I've wondered what the consensus is on that. For me, this plant grows like it really wants to be there. I recently divided up mine, and ended up knocking a few pitchers off with just a tiny bit of rhizome and no roots. Even those rooted for me. I think the cool days and nights year round are the key here. (Look in the trading forum in a month or two for these heliamphora!)

Hey, my H. neblinae flowered! Here's a pic:
H_neblinae_flower_1.sized.jpg

And here's a little context picture for size. Apologies for the lousy photos:
H_neblinae_flower_2.sized.jpg

Capslock

Helis are a genus that is a bit more picky. ive got a H. minor thats doing ok. i purchased it from Tony this spring. its growing and spreading. i think ive got the humidity, watering and temps right but i dont think im giving it quite enough light. i would start out with the hybrid mentioned above and go from there.

I'm with elgecko on the indestructible part.But I think it's where the plants came from that was the problem.

Jerry

Lots of good advice.  Can be finicky at times.  If your ok with highland Nepenthes then your in the ballpark for Heliamphora.  Well drained mix (lots of lfs with some chunky stuff), nice bright light, good humidity and cool temps and good water.

I think the biggest problem most people have is dealing with young, unestablished, or recent plants from TC.  If your handling these kinds as opposed to larger more mature plants then some losses are a virtually given.  Not to say that more mature plants won't be an occasional problem but odds are better they will settle in.

Tony

Greetings,

I'm not a Heliamphora expert, but I've had good success growing several different clones of H. heterodoxa x minor.  I've found that each one responds a bit different.  I have one clone that constantly puts out new pitchers, even if the nighttime temp doesn't go below 70F.  This plant has put out 13+ pitchers in 3 months and there are still more forming. Another clone I have is extremely slow growing under the same conditions.  In the same amount of time it has only produced 4 pitchers.  

In my setup, the daytime high never exceeds 75F, and I think that helps prevent heat stress.  Nighttime lows are 70F summer, and 60-65F during winter, fall, spring.

I'm hoping to divide my warm growing Heliamphora, so in the future I can have some plants available for trade.  It's a great plant.

Is it ok to divide Heliamphora now?  Mine is bursting out of its pot.
Brian

Well, I'm having trouble with highland neps, but i have a shelf of my grow chamber that I have some Darlingtonia on that do well.

Maybe it would be good on that shelf?

it may be one of those things you just have to try. if your willing to take a shot at it keeling over on yah go for it, get the hybrid and try it. only harm done if it doesnt work is your pocket book takes a slight hit and you frustration level goes up a bit.

I say the same, I have grown H. heterodoxa x minor, H. nutans, H. heterodoxa x nutans, and H. neblinae, unfortunately I've traded them all away (newbie mistake, trading plants you dont have extras of) anyways I had great success with them in Highland conditions, high humidity is a must and cooler nights help it to pitcher faster, coem to think of it, I am getting my first helis since the greenhouse this friday/saturday, H. tatie var. tatie, and H. heterodoxa, I bought them for a science expirement, anyone ever tried leaf pullings of Heliamphora, I figured it should work since they're in the sarraceniacea family too

Kirk,
I've rooted heliamphora pitchers with barely any rhizome attached. They basically fell off while I was dividing mine, so it should work. Let us know!

Capslock

Hey guys, I have a small H. heterodoxa x minor its been doing good for me on the window sill it dosent get too much light, but it is growing ..super slow but growth none the less. It only has imature pitchers and I grow it in pure LFS.

NOW my question hw many heli growers are in hot places like Florida? I live in Miami, Florida so really the only place for me to keep them would be indoors, given that is would have constant temps of 75-69.

Is that appropriate? I've really been wanting to try other Helis, dieing for one with mature pitchers, but those are hard to find and pricey... but scard that I might kill it due to the growing conditions.

Any thoughts??

-Jc

Juan if you check out nepenthesaroundthehouses website, he grows nepenthes and Heliamphora outdoors in Cali under shadecloth

I have to agree with the above posts, try it if you're willing to take the risk. I thought helis were off-limits to me, all I have available is a windowsill. My H.minor is now flowering and needs repotted. So try it, you may be suprised.

Cole

Colieo are yo in Florida aswell? I'll might try it in the future.. the thing that deters me is that Cali has cool nights Miami nights are pretty warm.

-Jc

Nope, I'm in northern Indiana.

Cole

Back