User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus.. what do you think?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hey guys, I bought 5 beautiful Cephs last year. they were mature and healthy as can be.. they came from meadow view Biological. ANYHOW I've lost 4 of them sinc ehten and have one remaining that isnt looking too great :/

What do you guys recomend?

I grow it in a 10g terrarium with glass lid, not compleatly covered but has high humidity like 80% or so.

It has teo 15W compact flouros 5,500k they are pretty intense.

I am growing it in peat perlite mix and I've been keeping the mix moist not soppy wet. The ONLY thing that maybe could be the culprit is the heat... It stays at about 86-90 F

Any thoughts? Should I transplant it in sphag? or LFS and bring it indoors? less light? more light?

Man if anyone could offer advise it'd be great I've lost 4 dont want to loose the last [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Thanks!

-Jc
    Heliamphora ... A genus that intrigues me and fills me with joy!

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juan-Carlos,
    I don't really have advice for you, but can only relate my experience. I'm growing them outdoors in San Francisco, and they are in MUCH cooler weather. We normally have nighttime temps in the mid 50's and days in the upper 60s to the lower 70's in the summer, and subtract 10 degrees in the winter. Maybe it is the heat. Also, they don't need that kind of humidity, and might be getting some root rot as a result. You might try removing some of the lid, or at least adding a computer fan in there.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a picture I just took of my little guy... You guys should have seen how beautful and robust they where when I got them. They where full of big 1" -1.5" traps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Thanks again guys!

-Jc

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Caps, I tried that for a while, I left the lid off the terrrarium.. being that florida is already humid enough.. and that did nothing so now I keep the lid on but not completly.

Yeah it sucks, i'm really stumped and disapointed

-Jc

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Juan-Carlos
    That substrate seems a little peat heavy for Cephalotus follicularis in cultivation. I never liked the presence of a lot of peat however well plants grew.
    I received a nice plant early this year which was grown in straight peat (it seems), and to my horror discovered that it had no roots whatsoever, just rhizome. I then repotted it into my usual Ceph mix of 3 parts thoroughly washed perlite, 2 parts shredded/milled LFS, and a half handful of very clean peat. I've had my plants grow on and on and now there are roots poking through the bottom of their (I think they prefer) deep container.

Also, is the constant 86-90F at night as well? I have my best Ceph in a propagator on my windowsill and it hits 100-120F (RH 100% during the heat) easily in there whenever the sun is out. This doesn't bother the plant at all. It has a cooling off period during the night though, which it definitely seems to appreciate.

Good luck, and keep us informed

Cheers,

Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there Amori, hmm thats true I think i'll repot it then... Yes the temps at night are like 85-87. I just hope the transplanting dosent kill it through shock O_O

Anyhow thanks for the advise! I really do appreciate it!

-Jc

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OKay, I repoted him.. used 3 parts perlite, 2 parts shreded live sphag, and 1 part peat... I soaked in super thrive for 15 min. and moved it under regualr flouros instead of the compact flourecents. Lets all cross our fingers!!

sound good?

I'll get a pic later.

-Jc

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bummer.

I grow mine in a 10 gallon terrarium with 2 - 15 watt fluorescents. My temps in the summer hits the mid 80's. My top has a 2" opening the length of the tank to allow fresh air in. I have never had any bad lucks with cephs growing like this.
    I have potted them up in 2 different mixes and have had great results. I use equal amounts of perlite, LFS, and peat. Another is 60:40 mix sandeat.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast