What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ficus microcapra

Someone grow this plant? I just got it and need growing advice. Is It a Hybrid or a pure species ?

I don't grow that one but I have a Ficus benjamina. I would guess from the name it is species. The name is "latinized" and doesn't have single quotes around it which would be correct for a hybrid name.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.
smile.gif

Ok..I have grown ficus benjamina to :p but it died
smile_h_32.gif

I have no idea about Ficus microcapra. Did you do a search?

Ficus benjamina is a tough plant. I have 2 I've been working on for Bonsai for 3 years now.

The thing about a Ficus is they can be very picky and or what i call delicate at times, they seem to not like being moved around from one place to another, if you place it in one spot leave it there if ya move it after say 4 to 8 months it will stress and drop its leafs badly, they dont like being next to any heat source which in turn not only dries them out but causes them to drop leafs. I had Ficus benjamina for over 8yrs and only 2 times did i move it from one room to another in the house and it went thru serious leaf drop and stress, i pruned it back alittle and really pamperd it and it came thru till one day my 125 pound female akita came in and knocked the whole tree over and that was it it died.
smile_h_32.gif
Norfolk Pines are very touchy/sensitive to, never grab a branch or even mess with it the whole branch will die off and possibly kill the tree.. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have heard of the leaf drop that they are prone to do when moved.
My plants get moved twice a year. Spring time they go outside in full sun. In the fall I move them inside. I have never had them loose there leaves yet. I guess I'm lucky.

Ok...I had the Benjamina as a bonsai to..But I killed it on purpose (I think) because I didnt want it It doesnt suite in our Climate.
So Im going to plant a pine  in there instead
biggrin.gif

Back