What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rootshield?

Where can i get RootShield (Trichoderma harzianum)?

Is it recommended for all CPs?

Looking at the description online, it looks like it invasively pushes out harmful fungi, preventing damping-off fungus and root rot. Looks like it would be good for my Sarracenia, too, but I'd like to hear from more experienced growers on this.

I did a froogle search (www.froogle.com) and found only 2 carriers on the net. ~$20 for 1lb of RootShield. I did a search at homedepot and lowes and couldn't find it there.

As for the beneficial aspect, I take you got this idea from PingMan. I can't see how this wouldn't benefit other plants as well.

I'm also interested in hearing more about this product, especially with respect to whether it significantly improves the survival of seed, cuttings, and/or newly acquired bareroot plants.

Anyone have experience with it?

Trichoderma is one of the many, many species of fungi that can form a symbiotic association with the roots of some plants, via mycorrhizae.

Mycorrhiza, pl. mycorrhizae: a symbiotic association between certain fungi and plant roots; characteristic of MOST vascular plants.

It has been said, for example, that the soil structure of a native tall grass prairie is as biologically diverse as the canopy of old growth rain forest. this is predominantly because of the myco-fauna. Most vascular plants, in their native habitats have some sort of mycorrhizal association.
The seeds of many vascular plant genera also depend on a fungal association to aid in germination (i.e. orchids). Basically, the fungus receives elements from the plant that would normally be unavailable in the soil, and the plant receives nutrients via the fungi that are more readily available
due to this association.

The use of mycorrhizae in GH production is fairly new (8-10 years). Many inoculation products are available commercially, such as MYCOSTOP, ROOTSHIELD, and ROOTS2 with Mycorrhiza. These products are by no means a silver bullet for perfect root health, but they have had fair results. Several CP growers have had good things to say about the use of
these products.

It is important to note that these products have been developed for the commercial greenhouse industry, they were tested and formulated for things like poinsettias and geraniums.

They will not hurt your plants, but due to the vast number of beneficial fungi found in natural mycorrhizal associations, it is safe to assume that these products will not have the same results when used for everything from palms to primula.

So, in closing. Try this stuff, take notes, read the directions, and let us know what happens.  
smile.gif

Steve

Thanks for the information on sources and mechanism of action. I might give it a try.

I imagine that since we're talking about living fungal mycelia or spores that these products are more sensitive to temperature relative to many nonliving chemical products. I wonder just how "active" the product is by the time it reaches our homes relative to its activity when first manufactured. Just speaking my thoughts....

One thing I will caution about (even though I got called names on the listserv for it) is that Trichoderma actually produce a rather nasty toxin (it is actually listed as a potential bioweapon!! ) so you should wear gloves when working with the powerd or soil innoculated with it and maybe even a mask when working with the powder.

Just an FYI

What's the url for the listserve, is a listserve kinda like a forum?

The listserv is an email discussion group. If you go to the ICPS homepage you can find out more about it.

Back