What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata

I recently recieved a nepenthes truncata thru mail order, plant had two pitchers and all the leaves save one one were a bit beaten up.  Now even after life in a terrarium all the leaves save one are toast.  True the remaining leaf is healthy and green but it is one leaf!.  My plant looks horrible now... I understand Truncatas are very slow growers but can I expect shoots to sprout from the base of the plant as long as the root system stays healthy?..  or is my plant toast.

i dont think truncata do any growth points...
confused.gif

No plant is toast until it's really toast. If your one leaf is healthy and green and it's the most recent leaf, that's a good sign. They take a while to get used to their new home, so the beat up leaves died and it's just waiting to acclimate.

Capslock

The variants of truncata are slow, but I've found lowland truncata slower than highland truncata. As long as the new growth is green and healthy, the plant should be fine. Truncata takes a considerable time before it throws out basal shoots. It will do so if it looses its growing point though.

truncata1, you'll find that you need at least a 4' diameter plant to produce basal offshoots.

Cheers

I've had larger plants that have lost all leaves shortly after arrival. They look sad, but as long as the new growing point is alive and active, it will recover. It just takes a while.

Brian

..........................(one month later)................ oh another leaf!
thats how mine is. it does take alot of time.

It MAY take some time to adjust, and it MAY look like poop for a while until it does, but it's generally hardy enough to survive.

GOOD LUCK!
smile.gif

Back