What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

germinating mimosa pudica seeds

I have mimosa pudica seeds, what are the best conditions , (soil , humidity , temperature) to have sucess in germinating this seeds ?

cover the seeds with very hot water and let soak overnight or until they swell. Pick out those that didn't swell and repeat this process with them. Sow swollen seeds immediately in seeding mix, covering with two to three times their thickness. Do not over water or allow to dry out and provide good drainage and bright light. It should germinate within a few days with pretreatment. Do not over water and keep humidity low or fungal problems may occur.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/mimosa/mimosa.html

I found mimosa pudica to be pretty easy to grow. Here in central Florida the conditions seem just right. I also germinated my seeds using Gawd_oOo's method. I grew 4 plants in one small pot on my south facing windowsill. It grew like a weed. Initially it took some time but then grew out of control. I was forced to move it outside due to its size. I repotted it into an 8 inch pot and now its a small bush. One thing I like about mimosa pudica is that it flowers profusely. They started flowering once the plants reached about 8 inch in length. Everyday I find 15-20 blooms; it has not stopped blooming. If you lightly rub each puffy flower with a finger making sure to distribute the pollen to each flower you'll end up with many, many seeds. You'll find that mimosa pudica does not grow upright. As a seedling it does but gradually falls to the edge of the pot. Pruning made mine a little bushier but its natural tendency is to hug the ground. Some sources say that it hates a lot of water. I've not found this to be true. I grew mine used the tray method. I would fill the tray with water so it was halfway up the pot. Florida's heat demanded that I do this everyday. It absolutely hates to be dry though. It will become severly wilted and start dropping many leaves if it gets to dry for too long. And lastly, it has many sharp thorns so be careful. These were some things I learned along the way and thought I'd share them. I have a lot of seeds to give away if you have any problems. Goodluck!

Chris

I give them the hot water treatment and put the pot with the seeds in a terrarium with my cp's and after 10 days I have the first one poping out with a round green leave, today it as 2 leaves, I hope the other seeds follow this one.
thanks.

mimosa are like weeds here in KY in mid summer there are little plantlets all over the place

Back