What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats in your water?

• Thread starter Anoxos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tap
smile_t_32.gif
That's good to know...

And very scary.... the thought of fish taking second-fin Prozac and other wonderful chemicals is unsettling. At least they provided reccomendations.

And newcomers wonder why this water kills CPs! It's a miracle it doesn't do worse to us mammals!

not all cps... some are tolerant to it but for thoes that cant provide the ro or the distilled water. you'd be surprised of how toloerant they could be. although the medium breaks down faster...

I don't know why the blue hell people these days still drink tap water if they can help it. Makes no sense to ignore the obvious fact that such sources only polute your body with bad chemicals. Sheer ignorance. Sorry, that's just my rant for the day
smile_m_32.gif

Wow, thats really ummm hot! lol
Thats why I'm buying a RO filter (finally talked my dad into it) as soon as I can.... which is I've no idea when because I come home after 1am every day, and everything is closed by that time...

Get one off ebay Dimka. I know one seller who offers the best deal you'll find anywhere. I've bought from him, and it's safe, reliable, and easy.

only 8 bad things in my water (portland)
smile_k_ani_32.gif

edit: actually none, I live in a smaller town next to portland with a different water supply.

"I don't know why the blue hell people these days still drink tap water if they can help it. Makes no sense to ignore the obvious fact that such sources only polute your body with bad chemicals."

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but bottled water is simply tapwater from someplace else, spring water can be as contaminated as tapwater, and an ro unit is not capable of removing most pollutant-type contaminants, so what other choice do most people have?

Thats just awful, although we live high up in the woods away from cities and that we have a deep well, no we dont get city water at all, its still very hard water with high iorn, so we use a filter for our drinking water, told my daughter several times since she lives in town hows it feel to be drinking treated sewage water.
smile_t_32.gif
smile_t_32.gif
Theres sooooooooooo much bleach in that water you can smell it a mile away.
Mt plants all get distilled water and today im gona be melting a load of snow for extra bottled water for my plants. But then again does anyone know what and if theres anything in snow? As far as chemicals go from all our nasty air pollution? I bet even snow aint safe..
smile_l_32.gif

What's in my water? 8 parts Oxygen to 2 parts Hydrogen...

1. I've survived 17 years on tap water and still consider myself relatively healthy.
2. I prefer the taste of my tap water that of bottled.
3. I have greater things to spend my money on.

I myself wonder why the blue hell people buy bottled water at the gas station. $1 for a quart of water comes out to $4 per gallon.

Peter

*sigh* It was meant to be an informative post, not start rants. Not everybody's tap water is the same, and even the worst tap water is more sanitary than what most urban people had before. I just found it interesting that analysis is available on it.

As for me, I drink tap water, as do my cats. It is filtered in both cases, as our area is very high in chlorine among other things. The Ohio river is not a very clean water source! But the plants get RO water because I want them to stay alive.

I meant my last comment to be in regards to the resilience of us mammals, not some comment on how awful water is for you. I mean if you're going to get paranoid, these days it seems everything will kill you... I feel the opposite, that which does not kill us makes us strong! Its the people who put themselves in bubbles trying to avoid every little thing that put themselves in danger because they never develop a resistance to anything!

It was informative, and yes people will discuss and argue about things like this. If you consider anything written here as a rant might I suggest you read some of the other longer threads about controversial subjects. I also agree with the last sentence in your last post - which is why all soap products do not need to be antibacterial for you to be safe and healthy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I myself wonder why the blue hell people buy bottled water at the gas station.

I wonder the same, given that laws regulating the contents of bottled water are, in many states, more lax than those regulating the contents of tap water! A few bottled water companies have been under investigation for filling their "natural spring water" bottles with local tap water, then selling them for $2.00/bottle. Interestingly, studies have shown that the label on the bottle significantly influences whether a person thinks the water tastes good or bad!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its the people who put themselves in bubbles trying to avoid every little thing that put themselves in danger because they never develop a resistance to anything!

Another interesting point. Here's an interesting fact: regular soaps bought at the store (including the cheapest, such as Ivory bars) kill 99.9% of bacteria they come in contact with, so long as the person washes the area for long enough (at least 30 s). This fact makes the "super" soaps (which cost 10x more) a gimmick in my mind. The amount of bacteria killed by washing is influenced more by how long hands are washed than by the brand of soap used.

And killing every living thing in and on your body is not a good idea for many reasons. E.g., some people that take broad-spectrum antibiotics can develop nasty gastrointestinal infections and vitamin deficiencies because symbiotic and commencal ("good" or "non-harmful") bacteria in their GI tract are killed, and the space they occupied is taken over by pathogenic ("harmful") bacteria. The same concept could apply to sterilizing soil media.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Dec. 23 2005,5:28)]...but bottled water is simply tapwater from someplace else, spring water can be as contaminated as tapwater
This statement is too generalized. There are some companies that do this, but not all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and an ro unit is not capable of removing most pollutant-type contaminants
Actually an RO unit can remove most of the contaminants in your tap water. However, many people get them confused with the screw on carbon filters that attach to the faucet. Carbon filters can remove chlorine and some other contaminants that discolor the water or give it a bad taste or odor. They don't do much for removing minerals, some even add minerals.

BCK

About the bacteria in the tracts, both die, the good ones and the pathogens. Only thing is there are about 50000 times more good ones than bad ones so when equal amounts of both die, you can guess who survives better...
You are right about the soap as well, every soap is a base (at least real soaps are) and they kill 99.9% of microorganisms within seconds. So the whole antibacterial soaps are nothing but a hoax. We always washed our hands with usual soap after disections in the lab, and we all seem to have survived and not get any germs from the corpses.
About the tap "spring" water, you're right. Personally I work in catering, and I'll let you guess where we get our "spring" water in the pitchers...

Personally, now that I get daily Lake Erie snowfall, I collect the snow.

And y'all wonder why diesease is prevelant these days (or you don't wonder because you don't know). Ever since I was a child I wondered why people develop so many mental and chronic diseases that wouldn't or shouldn't exist for animals or even human beings of the past. All I can say is that the rise in diseases can largely be blamed on our poor diets, and the bad chemicals that surround us. A lot of people ignore this fact because they say we are living longer lifespans. With that in mind, do you know anyone who doesn't have a disease who's over 40?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Dec. 23 2005,4:28)]"I don't know why the blue hell people these days still drink tap water if they can help it.  Makes no sense to ignore the obvious fact that such sources only polute your body with bad chemicals."

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but bottled water is simply tapwater from someplace else, spring water can be as contaminated as tapwater, and an ro unit is not capable of removing most pollutant-type contaminants, so what other choice do most people have?
laugh.gif

Back