What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating Byblis liniflora seed

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I first put the seeds in a tea cup, pour water (hot, but not too hot to touch) enough to cover the seed about 1 inch deep. Let them soak for several hours (this is the first stage of germination -- called imbibition) to initiate the germination process. Then I put a paper towel in a plastic funnel, pour the seed out onto the paper in the funnel so the liquid drains off, then I used a plastic irrigation bottle with a 1::10 bleach solution (1 part bleach to 10 parts water) to wash the seed until no more purple pigment leached from the seed. I then returned the seed to the cup and soaked them again in water to rinse off most of the bleach. Then I sowed them on the surface of moist peat moss and placed them into a ziploc® bag under fluorescent lights. They germinated in less than 24 hours.

-----------

I discovered this by accident, when I was preparing some seed to sow in vitro I noticed there was dark purple leaching into the paper towel from the seed, so I continued the bleach rinse until it had all leached out of the seed and into the paper towel. After preparing the seed to sow I then planted half in moist peat moss and the other half in petri dishes of sterile nutrient agar. Wow, was I surprised when they all germinated within 24 hours.

Excellent bit of info. I have heard of using bleach before and intend to use the same method you described for my Byblis seeds.

Cheers,
Ravn

Thank you for sharing this approach with us!

Awesome - I had no luck with my seed this summer. I thought it was due to temp. I will try this method after Christmas.

Very interesting, Joseph!

As B. liniflora germinates within days for me it is not necessary to handle those seeds but it is a good idea to try that with more stubborn species like the tuberous Drosera. I had some good success with fresh seeds of some rosetted species but some did show no signs of germination at all. If my next try with smoke water fails, I'll try your method. Two thumbs up!
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers from Germany,
Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]enough to cover the seed about 1 inch deep.

My seed floats.. No matter how full I fill the cup, it doesn't cover them at all...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My seed floats.. No matter how full I fill the cup, it doesn't cover them at all...

Ok, so I just put my seed in this hour- at first only a few seed didn't float, a little bit of agitation to the water and a little time had gotten all but a rogue few to sink. I found that using a large spoon to pick up water and seed floating on the top, then letting flow back in to the rest of the water, pushing seeds contained in the spoon down and surrounding seeds down. I think that to do it without physical agitation you'd need to add something to bond with the water molecules which will prevent them from bonding together to form strong surface tension (a liiiiiittle bit of soap should work.) Though, that assumption is based on the fact that it is both the cohesive nature of water and the hydrophobic outside layers of the seed preventing them from sinking. Not sure if disrupting the surface tension would be enough, but if you've got spare seeds or something, it may be worth a shot.

push em onto the side...the hot water rises in the middle

This method works also for B.filifolia. I am testing it on gigantea and lamellata and will report back if it is successful.

I use 250ppm GA3 solution for 24hrs for filifolia. Sowed on wet sand, kept at about 82 degrees with about 80% humidity, they germinate in days.

I once had some BByblis seeds...my parents threw them out.:angry:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I once had some BByblis seeds...my parents threw them out.:angry:

Been there, done that.
smile_l_32.gif

I feel for ya.

Back