What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata giant form

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
smile.gif
Hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone has and grows the giant form of D. binata - forked could you please post a pic of it and alittle info on how you grow yours. I recived a young D. binata giant from someone and am curious as to how well they due and grow..

Thanks Everyone!!!!!
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

I am not able to post a pic currently, but I grow Drosera dichotoma 'Giant' It gets very large, the petioles of the leaves go to 12" The leaves fork fom 4 to more times, the most I have seen on my plant as of yet is 7 points. D'Amato states that the leaves can branch to up to 12 points and that mature plants can have leaves to 2 feet in diameter. (The Savage Garden, D'Amato 1998) The plant experiences a "dormancy" which in my experience is just a slow down in growth for a short period of time, though I expect that with lower temperatures, full dormancy like that of Drosera binata would probably be achieved. The size of the container really limits growth, put it in the size container that you want/can have it fill and it will eventually do so. Taller containers work the best, allowing the leaves to "gracefully" flop
smile_m_32.gif

I grow my plant under GroLux fluorescent bulbs 18DL/6NL
humidity ranges from 40-70%
day temps 74-76F
night temps 55-60F

I'll get a pic soon

HAppy Holidays
smile.gif

Wow thanks PoWeRPSUHort, it would be awsome to see a pic of yours, this one is small baby but large comapred to the regular binata, it only has one leaf right now with a 2 prong fork its tenticals are nice rich red color, i have it in a 3 inch deep pot right now till it settles in and grows some then i will find a nice bigger pot for it.
smile.gif
I greatly apreciate the info and how you grow yours.. Thanks tons!! I will try and get a decent pic of it tomarrow. Does mine only have a 2 prong fork right now due to it being a baby?

Yes. The young plants, and sometimes the mature plants, will only fork once, sort of like a "Y", it develops from there. Coming out of dormancy, it is common for them to come up with 2, sometimes 3 points, but 4, 6, 8, and so on points on the leaf, come as it grows out. I have an olde form, no longer in cultivation, and hard to come by. I got it from Judith Finn at Berkeley Botanical Gardens at UC Berkeley. It is the D. binata var. dichotoma "small form". There is nothing small about it. Though the leaf size is not like the giant form, this one splits into as many as 33 points. It has a fair spread, and is actually pretty tall, and an absolute nightmare for insects! It only received honorable mention by A. Slack in his first book, "Carnivorous Plants", and has been the only reference I have ever had to this form. I love it! Tough as nails, and sprouts from leaf cuttings really fast. It is similar to the form d. b. mutiflida, but the differences between them is obvious when you grow them together. I have had this one since 1984, so its been here for a long time, and spread to as many folks as I could get them to. Want to try one Barracuda? How about you PoWeRPSUHort?

smile.gif
Oh thank you Bugweed thats awsome info and help and your darn tootin i will give one a try..
smile_m_32.gif
That is if your offering..
smile_n_32.gif
I was totaly suprised when this one came in with few other plants i had got from Sheila she tossed it in as a christmas bonus/present.
smile_m_32.gif
IM HAPPY!!!
smile.gif
smilie4.gif

WHOA!!!! B45, My magic 8 ball sez you be in for more surprises to come!!!! (Note how smoothly I insert the Evil Laugh!)
Muahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

This form of D. binata sounds very cool...I'm very anxious to see a picture!

Heres pic of my baby although i stuck it in somewhat dark to try and get the light from the back ground to show how red the tenticals are it didnt work.. Stupid crappy digi cam... I definately need to invest in a better cam... But you can see how thick and big the stem is, gona try and snap a pic of it next to my regular D. binata for a size comparison.. Will post that pic in a few.. It did really well in shipping and has almost all its dew back already.
smile.gif

giantD.jpg

giantd.jpg

This baby is alittle over 2 inches tall. I wana see some pics of what it looks like when its bigger..
smile_n_32.gif

>_< Believe it or not, but through a series of unfortunate events, decisions, fiascos, and mishaps, I was actually able to kill a cutting of D. binata var dichotoma small form (from Bugweed!)...
confused.gif
I was disappointed; I love that forked look. Well, good luck, all.

I grow mine outside in full sun in about 1 inch of water.  Here in Central Florida the plant seems to grow fine whether the humidity is high or low (usually high though).  I purchased this plant just as it was going into dormancy.  It started coming out of dormancy when I recieved it.  Here are a couple of pictures of my young plant just before its dormancy again.  It was starting to look a little ratty.

Chris

Wow cstriker, very nice plant and BIG..
smile.gif
Thanks for the info and the pics there awsome.. I look forward to the day when mine gets big...
smilie4.gif

I second Tracey's opinion: Great looking plant Cstriker!

I'll have to post an updated picture of my forked dew.

Hey Bugweed.. I know someone else you could spread that plant to. Im always on the hunt for new D. binata forms
biggrin.gif

Sure VFTguy. Come and get it fresh from my container, anytime!

*cough* I don't think I'd mind getting some of that plant as well *cough*

I really have to get this darn cough taken care of
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

D.jpg

This is growing outdoors in Honolulu in direct sun. The medium is a mixture of equal parts peat and perlite. The container is bowl-shaped and about 8 inches in height. There are two small holes in the side about halfway from the bottom for drainage. It gets watered every 2 or 3 days. There are actually 2 plants in there, and they are about 3 years old. I've been able to grow only a very few varieties of Drosera, and this one does the best.

Very impressive! Nice picture.

Chris

Great looking plants you have there! I love the clumped look
smile.gif

smile.gif
Tropics, that is way to cool, love the pic and thanks tons for sharring with us..
smile_m_32.gif

Back