What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy now?

Hi
CP newbie here so bare with me
smile.gif
 Is my vft going into dormancy? About two weeks ago, the leaves stopped growing (the last one was deformed. Only had teeth on one side) and tiny leaves started to grow.

VFT2.gif

Close up
VFT1.gif

Could someone tell me what's going on?

what kind of conditions is it growing in?
how much light, and what temperatures is it in?

if it isnt going dormant, it *should* be!
it should be fully dormant this time of year..

if you are keeping it in cool conditions (40-50 degrees F)
and lowish light, then yes, it is probably going dormant..which is good!

if you are keeping it at room temp (too warm) then it might *still* be going dormant, although those conditions arent ideal..

if its *not* being kept cool, do you have somewhere cool you could move it?

Scot

It gets at least 8hrs of sunlight a day. I live close to the equator so the temperature here ranges from 74deg - 90deg. It has been raining a lot for the past month, so i guess u can say that the amount of light its getting has decreased. No cool place to move it to. I guess the only place i can move it to is the fridge?

A fridge is your best bet.

but i heard from some people that when they put their VFT in fridge, after mnonths, it die....

I remembered someone in this forum had post something regarded to fridge thingy. where i cant find it.... can post the url?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (athlon @ Jan. 06 2006,7:04)]About two weeks ago, the leaves stopped growing (the last one was deformed. Only had teeth on one side) and tiny leaves started to grow.

Could someone tell me what's going on?
I can't see the pictures, so I'm going off the description.
A VFT "MAY" produce smaller leaves right before it goes into dormancy, but this may be a sign it is not happy also. How long have you had it, and if longer than a year has it had a dormancy?

Being that you're close to the equator the changes in season, light cycles, and temperature are proly not what your plant is expecting to initiate dormancy.

On a side note; my first year growng CP' I did the fridge dormancy thing. If done right the only way they would die is if they were already in bad shape to begin with.

If done right the only way they would die is if they were already in bad shape to begin with?
What do u meant?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

OK, OK Calm down
smile_n_32.gif
I finally had to get on my girlfriends PC to see the picture. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I wan't to make sure that you realize you have several growing points emerging. When my plants start new growing point they will do this from time to time.

What I was talking about with the fridge dormancy was if you plant was dying, which is clearly not the case, the a dormany may or may not save it.

Back