What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another dormancy ?

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I have some VFT that I divided in the fall around halloween. I placed them on a indoor grow rack with artificial light to improve their success. I also made some divisions of D filiformis that I kept on the same warm grow rack with a 12 hour photoperiod.
They all (well, most) did well this winter.

My question is this:
Should I now give them/ allow them dormancy?

If so, will they naturally enter dormancy if placed outside, or must I try the refrigerator?
I live in south Louisiana. It has only dipped below 30F two nights this year; the temps are currently in the upper 50's to mid 70's during the day, in the lower 40's to lower 60's at night.

I would think it would be best to skip dormancy this year and just acclimate them to the outdoors when it gets warm enough to do so. Next year allow them to go into dormancy naturally.

C3P0,
you have a PERFECT environment to grow them outdoors 24/7/365!
yes, they need a dormancy..but its too late now..
you should have put them outside in October and let them go dormant naturally all winter..keeping them indoors all winter was not good for them..
they would have fared much better outdoors all winter.

if they are healthy, they should be ok though..
I would suggest putting them outdoors NOW...
and leave them outdoors, in a spot where they will get direct sunlight, for the next several decades..

you live further south than the natural range of VFT's (which is North Carolina)
your winters might actually be a bit warmer than what they are used to, but if you get winter temps in the 30's, 40's and 50's then you are golden..

dont put them in the fridge now! that will greatly confuse them and probably kill them..
you are very lucky..those of us up here in the frozen north would love to have your mild winters!!

put those plants outside!!
smile_m_32.gif

you have the perfect environment...take andavtage of it!
they will be MUCH happier and healthier outdoors then indoors under grow lights...

get some sarracenia too..and grow them the same way!
outdoors every day of the year!  
smile.gif

you dont even have to THINK about how to give your plants a winter dormancy!
just keep them outdoors every day of the year, and nature will take care of dormancy for you..
you are very lucky!!

Scot

All my plants are coming out of dormancy right now, so I don't think they'd even think of going dormant. I understand wanting to keep the plants growing to overcome the divisions. Missing one season of dormancy won't hurt them to much just make sure their outside nex fall when old man winter comes a knockin'. I don't even know what to say about the VFT's.
last year it was much colder for much longer, and most my VFT's didn't even show signs of going dormant until they had 2" of snow on top their pot(Christmas day). This year they were asleep in early Nov and are just starting to wake up. I guess the plants just do what they want.

Thanks for the feedback. I have kept them outdoors year round for the past several years - here and in Seattle. I only brought them in after I divided in late fall. I probably should have waited until right before dormancy was breaking to divide, but I was not thinking
confused.gif
... I will let them sleep next year!

i would take them out, I took mine out in January and theyre doing great, luckily i didnt put them outside because its 2 below and snowing now, i put them in an indoor setup if you live somewhere cold (I live in Colorado buy the way)

Go figure, it has been in the 70's for 10 days. Following the general consensus (and my own nagging thoughts) I put the VFTs outside - not much of a shock from the 75-85 of the grow rack. The next day it dropped to the upper 30's! Oh, well, they will survive if meant to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you live further south than the natural range of VFT's (which is North Carolina)
your winters might actually be a bit warmer than what they are used to, but if you get winter temps in the 30's, 40's and 50's then you are golden..

There's are also VFTs in Hosford, Florida that survive fine.

Back