What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ariocarpus

I stumbled on a few photos of these guys on the web. Prices for small ones near/at flowering size seem pretty reasonable. I've read all kinds of opinions on how to grow these things. Anyone with personal experience care to offer any advice? Can smaller species(agavoides) or young specimens be grown inside? I am pretty much a novice with cacti/succulents(heck...most plants) but do care(neglect) for 2 Mammilaria and a few other cactus outside and they seem to like me as they flower every year in spring. CA climate with hot dry summers here. It seems the rains here tend to come when Ariocarpus plants don't want them.

They are not too difficult - but can be relatively slow. Watering is important - they usually have a good, dry winter rest. As they are from sunny parts of Mexico and the US they need lots of sun, so a sunny windowsil will do. Some growers insist that limestone should be added to the compost, but most generally agree that high humus is not good, so soil based with extra grit for the compost. All are on CITES so seed and plants are restricted - however seed is ok to grow and will make reasonable plants in a few years.

Plants that are grafted are easier, but often grow too fast and then do not look 'natural'. Inter species hybrids are known, and many show high degrees of variagation and wierd body colour.

Good website: http://www.living-rocks.com/

BR
Chris

I'm assuming CITES is only of importance if you are shipping internationally correct?

Which species you would reccomend? I don't have too much interest in the hybrids.

Compared to other cactii do they need about the same water? Currently with mine I leave them till I'm sure the sand has dried and then drench completely. Pretty sure these guys want different treatment though. I've heard they prefer to be tray watered...

Like some cacti they devel0op a wooly crown when they are old enough to flower. If you water from above the woll gets matted and does not look so good. If you have many (like me) watering from above is the only answer so I have to put up with it.
Try agavoides (it is quickest to flower but the least like a living rock)
and trigonus, but they are alll pretty much as easy as each other (except one or two rarer ones that you will probably not find).
Mesa gardens are good for seed and perhaps plants -aviod wild collected as the survival rate is not great.
They are all tuberous rooted and can be rotted with too much water, but if you water as planned, when the soil is DRY, then they should be ok. hold off on water from September to April (or thereabouts depending on your conditions).

Best regards

Chris

How bout Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus? This one, agavoides, and fissuratus are the ones I think look nice of the group. Miles' to go claims to have agavoides, fissuratus, and nominate form kotschoubeyanus seedlings "almost or at flowering size". I'd think with plants this small they should not be wild collected correct?

Assuming if the are kept outdoors they will need some kind of protection from the rain?(here it rains in late fall and late winter or so).

Back