What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tips on growing in the Dallas area?

it's been a while since i've grown carnivorous plants so i just wanted to see if anyone has got any suggestions so that i will have a vibrant plant again. i got one from walmart and i repotted it in some peat moss in a bigger pot- just because it's so hot down here in the summer. i'm hoping it will act kind of like a heat absorber and keep the plant and soil from drying out.

its sounds pretty good...i got one of them from walmart too. light is the ONLY thing i have trouble with...out doors the sun is too bright and the leaves burn...i dont know what indoors on a very sunny window without any ill effects...yet. i do not know if the red in it will stay.
good luck!
alex

Hello fellow Texan!!

I grow CP's here also (I'm in Duncanville) and VFT's and Sarra's love it here outside year round. Don't worry about humidity or heat. Just keep the soil wet and try not to give them full sun. I grow mine under trees so they get about 4 hours or direct sun and filtered light the rest of the time.

PS : Nice car! I Like those, but I only have Mazda RX7's. I drive all over Dallas/midcities for work so maybie I'll see ya 'round.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Mar. 26 2006,12:45)]Hello fellow Texan!!

I grow CP's here also (I'm in Duncanville) and VFT's and Sarra's love it here outside year round. Don't worry about humidity or heat. Just keep the soil wet and try not to give them full sun. I grow mine under trees so they get about 4 hours or direct sun and filtered light the rest of the time.

PS : Nice car! I Like those, but I only have Mazda RX7's. I drive all over Dallas/midcities for work so maybie I'll see ya 'round.
awesome! thanks! you can't miss me... big round funny looking car named pookie. just got GIAC'd recently, so i've been craving to let loose... just me, pookie, and the road. if i had money, i would consider an RX-8 as the family car. (currently the beetle is. other cars are a celica with no back seat and a miata)

thanks for the advice too!

Cool, what happened to the back seat in the Celica?

it's a late model convertible... not sure exactly why he took it out (hubby's car he's had since long before i met him). but even if it was still in there, it would be flood damaged. and besides, there's no carpeting or anything either and the exhaust is WAY too loud for me to want to put a baby in it.

I have mine in direct Florida sun all day long
folderonfire5.gif
. I think you need to slowly adjust them to direct sun light. I have Sarrs, VFT's and Sundews. They seem to love it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bugfreak @ Mar. 26 2006,11:12)]it's a late model convertible... not sure exactly why he took it out (hubby's car he's had since long before i met him). but even if it was still in there, it would be flood damaged. and besides, there's no carpeting or anything either and the exhaust is WAY too loud for me to want to put a baby in it.
So what all are you growing so far? If you want any plants let me know, I might have a few extra.

Haha my car is prolly something you would want to stay away from. It is crazy loud, it would wake up your baby from a mile away LOL. My neighbors hate me.

If you ever see a red RX7 with just one seat, black rims, and a black hood, wave or honk or something. I'll keep an eye out for Pookie

i will do my best. jesus (my new plant) is on the patio... greeat... now i can't get eric cartman's songs from southpark out of my head. i've just got this one plant until i prove i can be responsible to myself.. oh, and a garlic plant and some stupid houseplant. the garlic started my re-entry into cp growing. it just started to grow in the crisper, then on the counter. then i thought to myself, "hmmmm...., it's just as easy/hard to take care of multiple plants as it is one."

anyway, the climate has been mild, so the little plant is soaking up daylight and getting distilled water.

as for the cars- the celica is crazy loud and has a ga-gillion mods, but that doesn't really mean anything. i prefer driving the beetle. it's a 1.8T with a chip and a lightened flywheel. it's cozy, comfy, and quick. do you ever take the RX7 to any tracks, copcar?

LOL, nice name. I need to give my plants names.

Yeah its been nice outside, a little windy but nice. Lets hope we dont get another rain storm like the last one.

I had an old '80 RX7 that was a beast. I took it to the drag strip all the time until I sold it. But now I'm just working on my other car ('87 RX7) trying to build it into a road race car.

Between my cars and my plants, I'm dead broke.
smile.gif
Post up some pics of Jesus and the Celica.

Back