What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FOTO feeding Nep. TRUNCATA with FISH !!!

Hello to everybody!
with this topic and photos I could called a crudelious person, but I have in my life many questions and I want the answers for all them. Finally after 2 years and half my truncata has become big enough developing a pitcher of nearly 22 cm !
So I feed it with a fresh living fish.
As I gave it to the plant the fish , before dying, lived in the pitcher for about 30 hours.
As its own escements begun to let change the ph of the water in the pitcher, the fish died.
Those photos are refering to the 20 and 21 March 2006.
I will post some photos of the rotten fish if I will be able to take pics....the water is already turning dark.
There has been no bad smelling in my terrarium because I think that the 3 cm figh was swimming completely under the truncata's water.
In this pitcher I will put nothing more untill this will die in order in about 8 months to could open it and to examine the effective rests of the victim.
Some of you had similar experiences? Even with other animals?
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

fish_truncata1.jpg

fish_truncata2.jpg

fish_truncata3.jpg

fish_truncata4.jpg

Poor gourami! Pretty neat though.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

LOL!!! but we have to look at it in a sceintific way...
smile_t_32.gif

lol thats cool, I once fed a goldfish to a sarracenia, didnt work quite as well as i thought, the pitcher toppled and the fish rotted

Hey thanks to everyone!
Just wait about one year and I will feed my truncata with a "frozen" mouse!
Kirkscoastalcarnivores : Wow! I really cannot believe what you did try to do! Human fantasy has really no limits! Ahahhha!
A Fish into a sarracenia! Wow! Not bad!
Come on boys, comments and pictures are welcome!
We should organize a PHOTO CONTEST of the most GORE carnivorous photo of the year 2006! Ahahah!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

MR_AGA MUST BE STOPPED! But seriously, that'd be pretty cool if it digests the fish like other prey. Stuff like ampullaria could potentially catch little minnows when its habitat flooded.

-D. Lybrand

i caught two rats and was thinking about giving them to the plants but....

dont even try it fc
smile_n_32.gif
next time mr aga try a guppy(sorry jimscott) they are smaller and might not cause to much rot to that big of a pitcher

Seems pretty cruel and pointless to me. What was learned here that any intelligent person could not anticipate? What is the point? Why not have some respect for other living things?

As a scientist, I understand that it is sometimes necessary to take life in order to better understand it, for some systems (notably biological ones) are generally too complex to be simulated (at least as yet) and therefore can generally only be understood by hopefully well-designed experiments. However, the wanton waste of life merely to satisfy some obsession with gore among the nascently post-pubescent disgusts me.

I don't really see why feeding a plant a fish instead of an insect would be a bad thing. Both are living creatures and both would be going towards making the plant grow, so it isn't like either went to waste.

To each his own I suppose.

he has a point neps... you should be saying that about bugs then shouldnt you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neps @ April 04 2006,10:28)]...However, the wanton waste of life merely to satisfy some  obsession with gore among the nascently post-pubescent disgusts me...
>;-D

What neps says is not wrong,
Curiosity and many questions have brought me to give to the truncata the fish and also a future mouse/ rat.
Example...it was nice to observe that , even the liquid inside the pitcher, was with very low oxigen, the fish succeed to survive for nearly 30 hours.
THis is the prove that liquid in the trap is drinkable and that indigens in the forests really have drank it when there was a period with no rain! Those are not leggends....this is true then!
I am shanking often the pitcher in order to not let become black the lower part of it where the fish now lies down.
1 week ago, I have done a truncata lowland cutting and since, I cut some leafes, I have tried to drink the liquid of a new developing pitchers. It tasted nice...
This is me...
See you

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

truncata_drink.jpg

well mr.agar i can understand your anxiety and curiosity even not to let go of those tiny drop of juice from the tiny pitcher

Last month i have some visitors from another country and 3 of them shared the juice from a huge northiana:;):

Robert

I am with neps on this one. If you keep fish and one dies(as they sometimes do), why not? I could almost understand if you used a bait fish like a minnow(as they are essentially doomed anyway)-but despite that, 30 hours to die seems a bit cruel.
To each his own, I guess.

Joe

30 hours to die maybe is not cruel as you imagine.Probably the pitchers noticed the presence of something and has dissolved some enzimes in order to let the fish loose orientation...
We could not know...
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi,

I guess things like this so called experiment appeal to some people, but thankfully it is good to see that there are others that are of another opinion. Still, the N. truncata looks nice.

Regards,

Christer

Ive heard reports of the Pitchers Fluids being very distastefull...

ITs either the People tasting it, or the difrence in species...

My only argument is how is a fish going to get into a pitcher in the wild? I can understand a small rat and the millions of insects... but... w/e floats youre boat

Dunno.

THe only thing i have to say about the sarr's is its possible for newts to get into S. purpurea in bogs in NY... The water rises the newt finds a moist spot... im sure you got the rest from their..

Does it smell preaty rank now?

Cheers

Back