What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

killing rosemary... help?

hmmmm.... i am/was attempting to propogate my rosemary from a cutting... it's not doing well. at all.

can somebody more smarter than me offer me some assistance?
i not too plant savvy.

dont know what plant u talk, but i hear vitamin b1 in hormone, is a powerfull drug that make plants produce roots. maybe it help, anyway in the natural hand i hear rice (natural collected one), can b used to make a rich mix ro make plants produce roots, Good luck.

Can you tell us what you are doing so that we can tell you what you're doing wrong?
biggrin.gif
lol! That came out harsh.
smile_n_32.gif
Well, I'd like to know media you're using, and a little bit about the cutting before saying anything. Though, I have to say I've never tried making cuttings off of the plant.

But the basics should be: light not too intense, high humidity, extra leaves cut off/clipped, and -optimally- nodes under ground for roots to form. Bottom heat is often enjoyed by cuttings, but it shouldn't be necessary- not by a long shot.

oh, i don't freaking know. it's like a tiny stick in dirt. just some common potting soil. i hadn't treated the clipping at all, and maybe i've got too many leaves on it. i did move it indoors since it's so tiny and not doing well.

nobody else grows herbs? this is new for me.

Rosemary is a pretty hardy plant. Mine strikes new plants regularly just from a leaf/stem growing in contact with the soil.

To be honest I have never tried to propagate mine, but If I were to try I would simply take a snip and dip it in rooting powder and stick it in the dirt.

Good luck
Steve

thanks for the tip steve!

any particular type or brand that you recommend? my plant still looks very very very very very pathetic. dunno if it's gonna make it. whether or not it does, i'm determined to succeed with this perhaps with another cutting.

the madness continues...

I think rooting hormone is the missing ingredient here. B-complex/Superthrive would help some, but the rooting hormone will make or break the deal. I usually like the powder kind, but for a woody plant like rosemary, I'd look for liquid rooting hormone, as I'm not sure how well the powders would be taken up. The only really woody plant I've tried to clone is a rubber tree, and the liquid seemed to work better than the powder; cuttings took with both types, but I lost a lot more with the powder.
Good luck,
~Joe

I would just go to my local nursery and buy a brand spanking new rosemary plant.

awwe ~ i picture your stick like a charlie brown x~mas tree, needles dropping as we speak ~ I'd hate to give up on the little guy as well ~ but i'm with dyflam get a new lease on life ~ ... once established i have bent back a branch into the ground laid a brick on top and changed its growing direction to sprawling state vs. growing into a tall bush like shrub. also its rosemary's time to shine with all those pretty blue flowers ~ your stick is going to take ages to blossom.

well, then i guess i'll have to name my stick "bob" or "jim" or something and carry it around and talk to it. there! that way i will have a use for it.

Get the powdery rooting hormone. Make a fresh cut on the bottom of your cutting. Dip in rooting hormone. Stick cutting in moistened sand. Keep sand moist. If you can supply bottom heat to the container, that would be great.

Or, go to Wal Mart and buy a huge Rosemary plant for $4.94. Full sun, let dry out between waterings. Think Mediterranean!

thanks for all the replies guys! i really appreciate it (and need it- i suck at plants evidently)

oddly enough, the vft's are the ones doing the best out of all my plants. i've had flytraps before and know they can survive and don't have to worry about giving them plant food or too much water or anything.

these stupid herbs- not so easy for me. i am a known plant killer (please don't throw me in the slammer! at least not without a hearing) if i had the time and money, i'd trade it all my herbs except maybe the rosemary (the parent plant, not the dead toothpick) and make a mini bog on the patio with various cp's.

my plants are yellowing, guys, and i don't know what i'm doing wrong. big rosemary is fine, it's mainly the parsley. at least now i know i suck at gardening

If you want to start up a mini bog shoot me a PM. I have a few spare Sarra's, VFT's, and sundews I could send ya.

i think you must have a marvelous knack for plants if you are into cp's, they take the patience of a saint ~ don't be hard on yourself ,the key to herbs is mostly in the watering, when the sun is out or the air is dry ~ most herbs need watering everyday especially the spindley ones like parsely, cilantro. anything with a fleshy thin stem, basil they all need mega water ~ its the woody things like your rosemary that do well ~ though mint ~ that might be good for you ~ there are so many ` pineapple mint and apple mints are kinda exotic, easy to grow and smell great ~ they arent very expensive and with copcarFC willing to send you plants for a mini bog garden ~ you can have the best of both worlds ~ happy growing

i meant to ask you ~ are you the one who had the sniper kitty photo ~ that had me cracking up ~ i sent it to my husband he was rolling, and now i see the crazy cat in pj's ~ soooo funny

tiffneycase, i agree with you on the mints. apparently even a total tard would have a difficult time killing one. my peppermint is doing okay.

and no, i didn't post sniper kitty, although i do have that pic somewhere.

and copcar, pm sent.
smile.gif

i actually thought i might have been overwatering the herbs. i'v e been crazy busy studying for my anatomy practical and physics so i haven't embarked on any more plant projects. i hae been remembering to water my plants (yea!!!)

actually, i was procrastinating one day and i actually caught myself laying on the patio and kinda talkin to the peppermint plant. eek!

wow, i'm procrastinating right now too so i better get my butt back to studying

Back