What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

petiolaris complex question

Hey,

As I'm sure you all know, the petiolaris drosera have pretty long roots. But for some reason, whenever I see them (and buy them for that matter) they're in these little 2 inch pots. Would it be wise to repot them into a bigger pot? If so, how big? What sort of negative effect would a small pot have on the plant? Thanks.

Oh yeah, and another question. How do i get more dense growth on d. paradoxa? Having more light didn't seem to help, it used to get around 16 hours of high-power flourescent light...the petioles were dark red, but it was still not dense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As I'm sure you all know, the petiolaris drosera have pretty long roots.
I was under the impression that the roots are not uncommonly long. Very few of my Petiolaris Drosera show any signs of roots coming out of the pots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would it be wise to repot them into a bigger pot? If so, how big?
I would only repot them if they really need it to be honest. Plants that were in 2" pots go into round 3.5" pots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What sort of negative effect would a small pot have on the plant?
Not sure, other than being choked. I do know that disturbing them too much might trigger some to flower or display dormancy characteristics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How do i get more dense growth on d. paradoxa?
Very interesting. Could you show us a photo? I notice that some of my paradoxa clones are more "compact" than others regardless of light levels (as far as I have observed anyway).

Hope this helps,

Homer

Hey homer,

My paradoxa has roots extending 6 inches out of the bottom of the pot. I can get a picture of that later.
Here it is right when I moved it to the windowsill, with the red petioles and less-dense leaves/
paradoxa.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My paradoxa has roots extending 6 inches out of the bottom of the pot.
Amazing! I've never seen anything remotely close to that! I'd love to see a photo. Also, your paradoxa looks happy and healthy. I don't know what else you could do to encourage more compact growth. Try to obtain another "clone" of paradoxa and see if it does the trick, OR do some leaf cuttings of this plant and grow them in distinct locations. I've had great results getting strikes of paradoxa when pulling multiple leaves at once and leaving them intact... but that's another topic.

Good growing! And yes, if it was my plant, I would repot it.
smile.gif

-Homer

Hey,

I think you're right, it probably is the clone. I'll need to pick up a denser one sometime. As for the root, I'll get a pic of it soon, but I just checked it and it appears to be OVER 6 inches. It also seems to be only a few roots, not a mass of them. Lots of algae on them, pretty ugly. Still odd apparently, pic to come.

This colony of paradoxa, (taken last summer), has thick roots and is as far down as the container it was in, which is about 1.5".

AR000102.jpg

It was actually your plants I had in mind, since I keep mine in about the same conditions (except more humidity), yet there's a huge difference in growth. (both leaves and roots)

If only D. paradoxa root cuttings were a viable way to reproduce this plant! You'd have dozens of little ones. Thanks for posting a pic.

-Homer

It's funny this thread came up because I recently had a lone D. paradoxa seedling pop up in one of my Ceph pots. I sowed a bunch of them throughout my collection a while back and it seems this little guy is the only survivor, not to mention my first D. paradoxa!

It seems to be growing quite rapidly so far. I'm really happy it germinated
smile.gif

when it grows a stem, do you bury the stem too?

I don't think it gets buried in the wild. Mine has a stem, but I leave it above the soil

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]when it grows a stem, do you bury the stem too?

Interesting... never tried that. I've noticed that in places where I pulled leaf cuttings the plant produced long roots. There should be a topic on that here on the forum somewhere.

-Homer

Back