What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Offer is now closed. Thanks to everyone who responded. I will write private messages to each of the respondents.

For those who may have missed out this time, I plan to make a similar offer each week for several weeks.

Thanks all, and best wishes, -Steve/xscd

--- --- --- --- ---

TEENAGE VENUS FLYTRAPS UP FOR ADOPTION

VFT-nursery-stock_2006_tn.jpg

Some of my VFTs that are up for adoption this year

What I will offer:
2 or 3 groups of VFTs, with 4 or more plants per group, free except for shipping.

When I will make the offer:
Sunday evening, August 13, 2006, 7:00 p.m. US Mountain Daylight Time.

Where I will make the offer:
Right here, at the bottom of this message, by editing this message at the time mentioned above. Anyone already viewing the message at that time might have to click the "Refresh" button on their web browser to see the edited message.

What to do if you're interested:
Write me a private message AFTER the offer is made. This offer is only open to persons living in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (although I wonder if VFTs would ship OK to Alaska).

What I will do:
I'll choose from among the first responses I receive after I make the offers, the 2 or 3 (depending on how many groups I'm giving away) that appeal the most to me. I'll write a private message to those people, and then I'll edit this post to say that the offer is now closed, in bold type at the top.

What to do if chosen:
Pay a $6.00 shipping fee in advance, via PayPal.com. There will be three days (until Wednesday evening) to do so. If the shipping fee is not paid, the VFTs will be offered to someone else.

When will the VFTs be shipped:
This coming Saturday, August 19, by USPS Priority Mail.

I'm posting this notice early so that more people who may be interested have a chance to respond. Typically, all the plants are spoken for very quickly, within an hour or so after the offer is posted.

I plan to make a similar announcement every week for the next 3-5 weeks, so if an interested person misses out on this one, perhaps he or she will be able to take advantage of a subsequent giveaway.

VFT varieties in these "up for adoption" offers may include:
<ul>
* Blood Red Traps
* Dente
* Fang
* Big Mouth
* Banded
* Fine Tooth x Red
* possibly others
[/list]

--- --- --- --- ---

This week's free VFT offers

Note: If you are interested in one of these offers, please tell me exactly which one you are interested in (mention the VFT varieties by name) when you send a private message to me. Thanks.

Offer 1
Four Big Mouth -- Big Mouth tends to grow low, not as tall and spindly as other varieties in the summer. It tends to produce large traps and a deep red-purple color under favorable circumstances. Very nice VFT.
smile_m_32.gif

Offer 2
Two Fine Tooth x Red and 2 Fang -- Fine Tooth x Red is not a very descriptive name, but the VFT itself is outstanding, routinely producing deep red traps on vigorous growth. I love this VFT. Fang is a variety that I have yet to form a strong impression about. It tends to grow a little leggy in summer and is *supposed* to have long cilia, although I don't find its cilia to be much different than many other VFTs. However, it's a very nice VFT (of course, I'm partial to VFTs anyway).
smile_m_32.gif

did you every get my payment? i pm'ed you but no reply.

That is so kind of you to offer so many plants. You are very generous. Bucky:)

ooohhhh your so genorous. This will be an excellent way for people like me to grow back their vft collection. Thanks so much! You are very giving.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 12 2006,11:36)]did you every get my payment? i pm'ed you but no reply.
Hello Clint-- I believe I wrote to you by regular email. Yes, I received notice 3 days ago that the eCheck that was submitted via PayPal for the VFTs I sent to you had cleared and was credited to my PayPal account. Thank you!
smile.gif

I hope the VFTs are growing well and are enjoying their new home.

Best wishes,

Steve/xscd

Wow I have never seen so many gernerous people before.Thank you

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_freak @ Aug. 12 2006,12:23)]Is it okay if I can pay by money order?

It would be OK (for this offer only--see below) if I get the money order before the shipping date (Aug. 19) and assuming you will be chosen as a recipient after the offer is made tomorrow evening.
smile_m_32.gif

--- --- ---

Please NOTE-- I'm already starting to get "special circumstances" private messages about this offer, from people who are going to be out of town when the offer is made, who wish to pay some alternate way or who have some other special circumstance that they ask if I can accommodate or work around.

I enjoy giving my extra VFTs to good homes. But I won't take the extra time necessary to respond to all of these individual exceptions and special requests, because in order for this giveaway process to be enjoyable and not too frustrating for me, it has to be fairly simple and easy.

So, here in a nutshell is how this offer and the several subsequent offers I will probably make over the next several weeks will work--

<ul>
* I'll make an announcement of when I will make the giveaway offer.

* I'll make the offer at the time I mention in the announcement.

* From among the first perhaps 5 or 6 responses I receive by private message after the offer is made, I'll choose the 2 or 3 (depending on how many free groups I have for giveaway) that sound the best to me.

* Those people will be notified by private message that they have been chosen, and I'll edit the first message in the Trading Post topic to say that the offer is now closed. The chosen recipients will have 2-3 days to pre-pay the shipping charge of $6 via PayPal (and PayPal only).

* If they don't pay the shipping fee within 2-3 days, I'll offer their VFTs to someone else.
[/list]

So, that's how it works. If a person thinks of a good reason why I should use some other method, or not use PayPal, please let me know by private message and I'll consider it.
smile_m_32.gif

best wishes,

Steve/xscd

That's very generous of you Steve and nice rules also. Believe me when I say that Steve's plants are well worth the time and effort you all have to put in. So good luck to those who try and congrats to those who are chosen. Too bad I don't have the time on my hands right now to give this a shot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Believe me when I say that Steve's plants are well worth the time and effort you all have to put in.

Thanks Mike.
smile.gif

All of the VFTs in my current series of giveaways are first season divisions, natural vegetative offshoots of the VFTs that I transplanted in the spring this year as they were breaking dormancy. So they are "teenagers" and not quite as large as some others I have given away in the past, but they are hardy, healthy, happy and vigorous--very nice young plants.

Here's a small image of some of these plants:

VFT-nursery-stock_2006_tn.jpg

And here are links to two larger photos:
Young VFTs, 2006
Lots of Hungry Mouths to Feed

Back