What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drained, or undrained?

Sometime in December I am going to move all my Sarrs to a 14" garden bowl. I already have done this with my VFTs. My question is, should I punch out the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot, or leave it undrained? I took the drainage hole out of the VFT pot, and I haven't had to water it often at all. So I'm wondering, with that size bowl, will the peat naturally hold enough moisture so it doesn't need to be drained?

well its depends really since in Atlanta there usually is more rain then snow you could keep it drained. however if you have the option to be able to put the plug back in, put it back in in the summer.
Alex

Drill a hole about an inch off the bottom of the pot then turn it around so you can't see it
smile.gif
IME, those things fill up too fast and dry out too quickly if you remove the plug.

We're talkin' Sarracenia here, so there is no wet that is too wet. The only reason I'd ever think about drainage is if you were worried about it overflowing at some point. Sarracenia will do great with their rhizomes submerged.

--addition: Granted, you can always make a hole at the bottom that can be plugged up. That way if you ever need to purge the system and flush it through you can let it do that. Shouldn't be a common occurrence, but just in case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Sep. 30 2006,5:27)] The only reason I'd ever think about drainage is if you were worried about it overflowing at some point.
Bingo.

Yes, even according to Bugweed, "the wetter the better"!!

Back