What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who says purps suck at catching bugs?

Like I said in another post, my S. purpurea ssp. purpurea readily catches wasps several times a week, as well as other small insects such as moths and flies. Who ever said purps are no good at catching insects are wrong, cept maybe that's cause there is a wasp nest very close to my plant.
smile_n_32.gif

wasp.jpg

-Ben

Nice... I think I see a fly in there too.

i found flies in my prup today! i think all sarrs are good at catching insects in their own way...Psitticina still befuddles me though. i mean thers no obvious lip so whre does the nectar come from?
Alex

Aint any I don't think. Just the colors that attract.

-Ben

My purps cant catch any wasps. I see them crawl in to get a drink then they just crawl back out. Maybe I have lazy purps.

I agree - I don't know where the myth that purpurea (and oreophila for that matter) are poor insect catchers came from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 01 2006,3:32)]i found flies in my prup today! i think all sarrs are good at catching insects in their own way...Psitticina still befuddles me though. i mean thers no obvious lip so whre does the nectar come from?
Alex
Psittacina is flooded often in the wild. It catches small water bugs and fish... A minnow trap if you will.

Yea, But Dont Sarr's also produce trace amounts of "nectar" allong the whole of the pitcher to attract insects?

I have found herds of earwigs in my S. purp traps.

Wow that's a beautiful plant carnivorkid!

And as for the argument about whether or not S. psittacina produces Nectar or not, I think that it has it on the tip of it's ala and on the big bulbus head, getting stronger torwards the mouth of the trap.

the first one is one i grew from those little plastic cubes from lowes and the second red one is a brunswick beauty that was given to me. It usually has alot darker color to it but mine seems to have lots of new shoots and its a nice clump in only having it 2 seasons.

I just witnessed a wasp fall into a pitcher by itself...it was pretty cool.

Hehehe....

waspdeath.jpg

-Ben

carnivorekid: that first purp from the lowes cube...has it flowered yet? if so how long did it take?
Alex

Back