What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can rainwater be harmful??

joossa

Aklys
I have read that serval posters like to collect rainwater and use it to water their VFT's and other CP's.

I found this article that states:
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/earth/Atmosphere/wildlife_forests.html
Acid rain harms living things
When an air pollutant, such as sulfuric acid combines with the water droplets that make up clouds, the water droplets become acidic. When those droplets fall to the ground as rain or snow, the acidity of the water can have damaging effects on the environment. When acid rain falls over an area, it can kill trees and harm animals, fish, and other wildlife. Acid rain destroys the leaves of plants. When acid rain infiltrates into soils, it changes the chemistry of the soil making it unfit for many living things that rely on soil as a habitat or for nutrition. Acid rain also changes the chemistry of the lakes and streams that the rainwater flows into, harming fish and other aquatic life.

I know that VFT's and other CP's thrive in poor acidic soil, so acid rain should not be too much of a problem for CP's.

My quesion is:
Is there a possiblity that rain can carry anything other than acid??? Anything from the smoke that results from the buring of fuels etc.??? Can rain carry anything that may be harmful to a carnivous plant (mainly VFT's)???
I am aware that this is not much of a problem for people that do not live in urban or dense city areas, but for those that do live near cities with lots of traffic and industry, can their rain be harmful to VFT's because it may contain pollutants other than acid??

Thanks!!!

Our plants already grow in acidic soil and water
smile.gif
Rain can carry any water-soluble chemical.

Don't worry about it. It's not a big deal at all.

Acid rain is a problem for VFTs and other CPs. The soil can be made too acidic killing them. Also, the surrounding vegetation can be killed off resulting in more erosion filling in the bog or smothering the plants with silt.

hmm....is it easy to get any detectors for soil moisture...temp and acidity?

I was thinking of stealing some universal litmus paper from my labs....howwever....biochem labs don't use them as much soo I got to wait till my next sem chem labs.
biggrin.gif
Then...I'll steal a whole stack of them ;)
smile_n_32.gif

It would have to be REALLY acidic to bother them. Even at 4.0 I wouldn't worry. You are right about erosion.

Your soil should be moist enough that you don't need to test, and just get some pond test kids for ph (and Nitrate wouldn't hurt). I still wouldn't worry.

Back