What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Universe Theory

I get a kick out of people who challenge the orthodoxy and here's another - http://newuniversetheory.com/. My father met him at a meeting of retired engineers and I'm just impressed the guy has the gonads to name his theory NUT.

Best line on the whole page.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Big bang believers have been reluctant to consider new concepts, because of peer pressure and they have not yet read and pondered this NUT

While challenging orthodoxy is usually how many new theories begin, this… makes statements and I don’t see any studies or evidence cited to back up the… claims in this page. The references cite books, not scientific papers or studies.

I bet if this was actually found to be true, there'd be evangelical organizations trying to get stickers put on textbooks about how NUT is "just a theory". They're quite happy with the "let there be light" Big Bang I think.

I'm not saying I agree with him, because the origin of the universe is a faith-based issue for me. I put my faith in science and, if this guy is on to something, I can read about it in a few years when it's the new orthodoxy. But I do get a kick out people like him. There's one in geology, Thomas Gold, who's pushed the idea that petroleum has an ~inorganic origin (microbial transformation of primal methane). Like the NUT guy, Thomas Gold comes from a nontraditional background and has more self-esteem than is healthy. But I was in grad school in the 1980s when I first heard of him and just a mention of his hypothesis was enough to get some faculty shorts all twisted in a knot.

Back