What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houseplant idea...

i love neps so much, i want to give them as gifts. but obviously, its not worth giving to someone who doesnt have a terrarium to keep it healthy.

so i was thinking of maybe making a rig... some sort of stand (think wrough iron barstool) to sit a nep pot on, and then have an adjustable arm going up over it, which will house a compact flourescent bulb with an adjustable timer switch.

would a single compact flourescent (high wattage, of course) be enough for the easier of neps (like ventricosa, etc)? would this setup be practical?

terrarium? I grow ventricosa, sanguinea, fusca, spectabilis, bical, and "black dragon" over on my windowsill....

The first two are were my first and have gone from a 3" to a 6" pot in 8 months...

I think if you are looking for "practical" hand them a ventricosa and have them stick it in a window...

Meaven, depending on how close to the light you have the plant, it sounds reasonable.

To make a truly educated reply, though, I'd really need a picture of what you propose, as well as your year-round environmental conditions (temp & humidity).

well, i'd try it at my house first. it would pretty much always be eh, 30% to 50% humidity (minnesota summers are crazy) and between 70 and 80 degrees.

at my house, i dont have a lot of windows that get decent sun. and with it being winter, my windowsills sit at around 40 to 50 degrees, so i need to think of a better option.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Dec. 07 2006,10:09)]at my house, i dont have a lot of windows that get decent sun.  and with it being winter, my windowsills sit at around 40 to 50 degrees, so i need to think of a better option.
Well, remember these gifts will not be for you windows at your house. Just think about your recepients home and maybe suggest a location. In my experience, those neps listed would be good candidates for a window.

xvart.

As with what others are saying I advocate considering windowsills. Look at my growlist, anything on there that is not a full blood highlander is in a windowsill here for the winter and all grow and pitcher fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well, i'd try it at my house first. it would pretty much always be eh, 30% to 50% humidity (minnesota summers are crazy) and between 70 and 80 degrees.

at my house, i dont have a lot of windows that get decent sun.  and with it being winter, my windowsills sit at around 40 to 50 degrees, so i need to think of a better option.

Living in south dakota, a rougher climate than you, id say NO windowsills. The temperature extremes during the winters and summers are too great that close to the glass (i assume you have ice forming on the inside of your windowpane in winter too?) unless you have a very wide windowsill. The people who can do this live in mostly milder climates

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Dec. 07 2006,10:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well, i'd try it at my house first. it would pretty much always be eh, 30% to 50% humidity (minnesota summers are crazy) and between 70 and 80 degrees.

at my house, i dont have a lot of windows that get decent sun. and with it being winter, my windowsills sit at around 40 to 50 degrees, so i need to think of a better option.

Living in south dakota, a rougher climate than you, id say NO windowsills. The temperature extremes during the winters and summers are too great that close to the glass (i assume you have ice forming on the inside of your windowpane in winter too?) unless you have a very wide windowsill. The people who can do this live in mostly milder climates
yeah sometimes the ice gets up to a half inch thick =P

you must have a humid house in winter then cause there's never enough water in the air here to freze that much

Back