What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plant requiring LFSM

i heard that some neps only pitcher when grown in LFSM

is it true? if it is, can you tell me what species they are?

thanks

...No...

Some species will pitcher more/have larger pitchers if the tendrils rest on it because this increased RH. Atleast one plant (N. argentii? Don't quote me lol) auctually grows it's tendrils into the soil I believe. LFS can make that easier than chuck bark.

no, it's not true.
they do not grow in lfsm in the wild.
some require a moister mix than others but lfsm is not a requirement.
nep pro's please correct me if I'm wrong.
peace,
Zero
JLAP, you beat me to it:)

Atleast one plant (N. argentii? Don't quote me lol) auctually grows it's tendrils into the soil I believe.
yup your right. and so does N sibanyuensis(sp?) if given the chance. i have 3 neps in 3 different mediums! one is in Bark, coir fiber, and some peat, another is in straight LFSM and the last is in a mix of peat, vermiculite, and perilite. the last one have a bunch of peat in it. they all grow fine in their own mixes.
Alex

My favorite mi in my conditions is a third of each :LFS, perlite, pre-packaged orchid mix (consisting of bark, charcoal, and little clay pellets)

Your conditions may require drier or wetter ingredients (but really... Lol that mix I listed is pretty dry lmao)

Hi all:

As a rule of thumb, lowlanders require mixes which hold more water thus the amount of LFS may be greater, but if you do use the same mix on a highlander, you may end up with root rot, so pine bark, perlite, peat moss mixes are required for the latter.

Gus

I guess it depends on your growing conditions and the clone you have.
On Jeff Shafer's site, he grows(at least as of 2004 info) N. aristolochiodes and Muluensis in live lfs and for him at that time, the muluensis would only pitcher in that medium.

http://www.plantswithattitude.com

I also remember seeing photos from the ICPS Conference where someone bought N. aristolochiodes from Black Jungle growing in a pure bark mix of some kind.

???

Cheers,

Joe

I've bought N. bellii from them before and it was potted in bark mulch. It worked lol.

I do believe there is, at least one species of Nepenthes that grows "in" living Sphagnum moss in its natural habitat. It is a very small species, yet, since I have not paid much attention to this genus, I could not immediately say which it is. I remember it being the topic of a lecture, given at the ICPS convention in San Francisco. It is a very highland growing species. After doing a few minutes research on BobZ's Photo Finder I have discovered that the species I was referring to is Nepenthes argentii, which, I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Nepenthes tentaculata is also found growing in pure, live sphagnum moss.

Isn't it so neat how a plant grows in another plant? That's just awesome.

Hey while we are on the subject, I have a question! Why do people plant some plants in living sphagnum? What's the point since the moss not on the surface will die from lack of light anyway. Why not plant in LFS with living sphagnum growing on the top? I've always wondered this.

its still very airy down there, JLAP. i have a ventricosa is 100%LFS and another Ventricosa(both from lowes) in 100% live sphagnum. the one ing LS has a much more healthy root system but they still grow at the same rate.
Alex

Really amazing, considering the growth rate of a Nepenthes seedling compared to the growth rate of sphagnum. You would think it would get suffocated. There are a ton of speices of sphagnum. maybe it's a slow-growing, compact form?

Cheers,

Joe

Nepenthes tentaculata is also found growing in pure, live sphagnum moss.

Back