What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland temperatures.

Dont know if I have posted this here. But anyway I didnt get any answers.
So Ill ask here.
Will 58F be enough cooling for highland nepenthes such as lowii and for plants at that same elevation?

Yes, that temperature should be fine if you have the other proper variables for humidity, potting media, light, etc. I have an N. lowii growing in that temperature range, but the temperature range is just one of the factors.

58F is a bit on the warm side, but remember if you can get all the variables of a Nepenthes cultivation right or ideal, then one variable can be less than ideal for successful culivation. That would probably be alright for N. lowii as it is less picky.

Ok thx alot.
Well those temperatures will be in summer time.
Maybe a bit hotter such as 64F
Though in winter I can lower the temps to 50F.
So it will be about 5 months with warm temps and 7 months with cold temps.
Do you think they will survive the summers if humidity and all other factors is good?
Also at what temperatures should Rajah grow?

Hey Pluto,

Rajah is a stricky highlander. You may be able to get away with a month or two in the 60's, but you should really invest in something that will help you lower temps in the warm months if you are serious about growing highland plants.

Your winter temps of 50 sound perfect.

That's just it though what can we get that will lower temps in the summer. Right now in the cold months I open my window and let it blow in. I like the cold and it helps me sleep too but for the summer I'm going to need to get something to cool it down.

An air conditioner or mini-fridge can be rigged to cool a terrarium. A humidifier can work too - air temperature goes down as humidity rises, so if you pipe dry air into the terrarium and saturate it with water, you get cold air. I've heard of people obtaining a temperature difference of up to -10 degrees F in this manner.
~Joe

Yea but I'm not a science type of guy. How would I do this? I would buy all it today if you would come set it up for me.

the cheapo phissionkorps way:
get one of those cool mist humidifiers, cram some surgical tubing into the business end of it, put some waterproof tape around it to seal...snake the tube up into your terrarium (the straighter the better), tape the tube to the frame or something, and there you go.

The expensive(r) way:
all you really have to do is divert the flow of the coolant. Instead of through the fridge, it should go around your grow chamber, which will require bending some same diameter copper tubing around the grow area, then sautering the two ends of that to the two ends of the copper tubing in the back of the mini fridge. I know thtats not the best explanation, btu thats more or less it

Where can I get these parts to do this? Any online place so I know what to buy for sure.

Back