What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My sad little N. viking

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
He's had a rough time :(

He arrived with those gnarled leaves already on him and his growth point halfway snapped off and when I unpotted him he was in... pretty old mucky sphagnum to say the least. Hope he pulls through. He feels pretty dry even though the RH is about 90%.

DSC01476.jpg

I think the metal halide must have burnt him a little bit, too lol. He's supposed to be a grade A.

I hope. What would cause those leaves to grow all weird, anyway? Humidity shock?

Vikings tend to grow curly and wavy leaves. And they're rather awkward when it comes to pitcher shape and color. I havent figured out why I can have a green and a red pitcher next to each other on the same viking. They're not the fastest of neps either when compared to rafflesianas and thorellis but yea, at least they arent as slow as highlanders.

Those "weird, gnarled" leaves aren't that uncommon in some species. Especially when the plants are still small. You will notice leaves like this on basal growths of some larger plants.

globosa

JustLikeAPill,
sorry that the tip broke..darn post office..two of my boxes arrived this week crushed..anyway the plant you received can have red leaves(more light more red).."Vikings tend to grow curly and wavy leaves" my stock has shown this when they are small but they grow outa this..my experience this these guys is: 70-80drgees /
70-80%hum, and two (2bulbed) shop lights about 8-10" above the plant..they grow pretty fast..
rich

I'm pleased to report it's making a full recovery! My conditions are a bit more extreme than yours so hopefully it'll like my ultra lowland conditions.

Back