What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our female puppy is going into heat...

joossa

Aklys
Hello everyone. My family has a female Chihuahua pup that is 9 months old and she started to go into her first heat about three days ago.
Do any of you that have female dogs do anything regarding the discharge (like keeping the dog outside)? She has gotten the carpet and her bed pillow stained…

Thanks!

EDIT: Please do not suggest spaying her. Many people I have asked regarding this issue simply and rudely say to spay her, but that kind of action would not be under my control.

i have a 7 year old siberian husky. when she goes through that period, i just clean up after her, which is kind of a pain since it lasts for 3 weeks. here's what i do to keep the carpet clean. wipe the area with hydrogen peroxide then once the stain is gone, wash the material with warm soap + water.

i have a 7 year old siberian husky. when she goes through that period, i just clean up after her, which is kind of a pain since it lasts for 3 weeks. here's what i do to keep the carpet clean. wipe the area with hydrogen peroxide then once the stain is gone, wash the material with warm soap + water.
Thanks for the reply.
Does the discharge last the entire three weeks? Several sources that I have read state that the amount reduces as the three weeks progress, ending up with little to none by the time the third week comes around.

I had a female chow and when she would go into heat, I would take a huggies pull up and cut a hole for her tail. It worked great. I'm sure most dogs would just chew it off, but it worked for her.

3 weeks sounds about right. i dont know if it varies for dog breeds though.
my dog gets all weird and moody when she's in heat. she'd always carry her stuffed animal with her and squeak it like 20x or she'd sit outside in the backyard for hours, waiting for a male dog.

They actually make a belt and sanitary pad for female dogs. You can find that at most pet shops.

BTW...why can't she spayed? Your parents won't do it?

Like Ozzy suggested, I have heard of many families using diapers and have not heard about they chewing it off.

Or you could just get her "knocked up" next time!

xvart.

BTW...why can't she spayed? Your parents won't do it?
They think its cruel and that it will change her personality…

I'll try the diaper method... It sounds like it'll work.

thats the exact reason why i didnt want my7 yo. husky spayed/neutered.

however, i have a schnauzer/poodle mix that lives with me and when i adopted him from the shelter, it was mandatory that i get him neutered. i was worried that it would affect his personality - that he'd be a couch potato and he'd be less loving. plus, i was worried that he'd notice one day that his "jewels" are missing and that he'd hate me.

so to make a long story short, i got him neutered. his personality is still the same, he still loves me and he eats more now than he did before.

so to make a long story short, i got him neutered. his personality is still the same, he still loves me and he eats more now than he did before.

And humps your pillows a little less? Maybe?

xvart.

Even if it does no good to preach in this situation, spaying a dog does prevent her from getting certain cancers and keep her from being an outcast for several weeks every year. When I was a kid, we used to keep our female dogs in the kitchen those weeks for their first heat and then get them spayed. We now have the first female dog I've had since high school, but she's only 4 months old and it isn't an issue yet. But she's a show and field trial prospect, so she isn't getting spayed. After she retires or, if she doesn't pan out in those competitive things, she'll be spayed and enjoy life as a pet who doesn't have to come into heat twice a year.

Interesting. I never even stopped to think about how often dogs go into heat. I knew it wasn't "once a month," but didn't think it was only twice a year. Wow! You learn something new everyday!

xvart.

I think it's twice per year, but I'll have to ask my wife who's the household expert on all things dog.

I saw this and thought it said "Female Guppy" lmao.

My dog is spayed but she still humps. Go figure. I wonder if it frustrates dogs to be fixed.

My hump, my hump my lovely lady lumps. Check it out.

Yeah, that's a total myth about the "changing personality" thing. And humans tend to project their own discomfort with the thought of being spayed/neutered onto their pets. Its really a shame because cats and dogs are SO much better off being spayed or neutered. They don't go through needless hormone changes, can't get accidently knocked up and get to stay part of their family all the time instead of being isolated for impolite seasonal behavior.

Both my dogs have been neutered and they barely batted an eye. And it didn't change their personality in the least. It also relieved any worries I had about them jumping the fence if they sensed a female in season.

Good luck with the diapers. My dog Ollie would tear something like that off in a heartbeat! lol

thats the exact reason why i didnt want my7 yo. husky spayed/neutered.

however, i have a schnauzer/poodle mix that lives with me and when i adopted him from the shelter, it was mandatory that i get him neutered. i was worried that it would affect his personality - that he'd be a couch potato and he'd be less loving. plus, i was worried that he'd notice one day that his "jewels" are missing and that he'd hate me.

They have testicular implants for neutered male dogs. http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html (website has a music intro that automatically plays...just in case you are sneaking around on the internet at work.)
I've heard you can even pick the size you want...within reason.

Good luck!

I think a lot of people blame natural changes in dog behavior on having them neutered. There are changes, but the most noticeable change in our male Brittanies after they got "the operation" was that their fur became fluffy. As for those implants, I've heard they were originally intended to give monorchid dogs the "symmetry" they need for a show. But the manufacturer must have thought about the potential market for neutered dog owners who have even greater masculinity issues than their dogs ever dreamed of. By the way, monorchid can be your vocabulary quiz for the day.

Back