What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Phal in bloom

I bought this a year or two ago for 5$, it had just 2 small leaves.

This is the first time it has flowered.

orchid.jpg

dont look too closely at the cheesey photoshop work, it was a quickie :slap:

Cheers'
Av

Oh, wow! I love how the red is all splotchy. I'm not sure if that is even a word, but I'll use it anyway.

Nice. Did it come with a name tag? It's what's known as a harlequin Phal. There are lots of different hybrids in many different colors, but all have maroonish splotches.

Nope, I don't have a clue herenorthere ???

Av

I doesn't matter - it's a nice-looking plant with or without a name.

purely for my own curiosity...

can you make an educated guess?

Av

thanks Bruce,

It is my first orchid, so it's kind of special and it really doesnt matter about its pedigree to me... I have recently been given a tricolor gongora (sp?)... interesting in that the coloration appears like it will be simular when it blooms (still very immature)

Av

Those Gongora tricolor are fantastic! Soon after a member here (maybe the same one?) sent it to me, maybe a month, it sent out a spike. Unfortunately we left town and the buds dropped :(

hmmm if it was JB_Orchidguy, then yeppers same one :)

Then yep that's him :) let it dry out to really swell the pseudobulbs.

Clint,

curious, what conditions do you have yours under?

temp/light/moisture/media etc etc

I don't have it now after my dad killed it lol.

I did have it in room temperature conditions, bright shade, lfs/bark/perlite, and I watered it once and then let it dry out completely for a few days to get fat pbulbs.

Back