What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown purpurea

• Thread starter CPsinSC
  • Start date

CPsinSC

Ryan + Sara
dsc00001.jpg

I had posted this in the sarracenia picture thread, but figured I should make a post here to get the best response. I did find out a bit more information concerning the plant. The guy I recently purchased it from said it was a rare variety... he called it "Yellow Jacket", although I really dont think this is a real name. I don't recall the original conversation I had with him, but I seem to recall the words burkii and heterophylla, althogh I'm not sure if this is an original form or a hybrid of 2 purps (perhaps 1 or both antho-free?).

I didn't mention any of the above info in the picture thread, but these are the two responses I got ...

Pyro said:
Looks like it could be antho-free. Maybe luteola or "green tuba"

Alexis said:
I'd say purpurea ssp. purpurea forma heterophylla was more likely?

As far as I'm aware, this is a mature plant. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Will be sure to post another picture when the pitchers open :)

Pretty sure the one older pitcher came up before the april frost... Outside and inside of pitcher is rather fuzzy.

Last edited:
I went back to visit the guy I got this from. He said it is a hybrid, but isn't positive of the parentage .. he is pretty sure it's purp ssp purp heterophylla x rosea. I've had it in full sun the last month and the only color it's showing is on the growth tips (so i don't think it's anthocyanin free .. what do you call an all-green plant with pink on the growth tips?).

Updated pictures of a nice pitcher:
yellow_jacket.jpg

yellow_jacket2.jpg

Maybe its almost anthocyannanin(i spelled that wrong) free :)

It reminds me of catesbai.

Lol Maxx, it's anthocyanin.

That's not a pure species as you say, but it's not S. purpurea ssp. purpurea f. heterophylla x S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii. It's too upright, unless that thing is etiolated as heck it wouldn't look like that, it does remind me of catesbaei too, so it might be S. purpurea ssp. purpurea f. heterophylla x S. flava (maybe var. rugelli, this would make sense since rugelli is mostly anthocyanin free but has a little coloration in the phyllodia), however something tells me it may not be that simple.

~NeciFiX

to me it almost looks like a hybrid of rubra x purpuea, maybe backcrossed...

hmm...

Just FYI, you will never know for sure! ???

Frankie's probably correct. A Purpurea (anthocyanin free?) crossed with something with little or no coloring, crossed by a anthocyanin free purpurea again.
That's my guess. Still looks nice though. :D

Back