What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. black dragon

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Here are a few pictures of my N. x 'black dragon.' The real reddish pitcher is the most newly inflated one and hasn't colored up yet. The lighting and the camera make the colors a little funky. The pictures I've seen on the web of mature plants show the wings on the pitchers as black/purple, but I can't seem to get mine to not be green. Has anyone had any success getting the entire pitcher to become significantly darker? Or is this something that occurs with age?

blackdragon4-5.jpg

blackdragon3-5.jpg

blackdragon2-5.jpg

blackdragon1-5.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
Hi there:

Usually plants that derived from dark coloured species in Nepenthes, tend to produce pitchers with colours which are obviously less intense than the parental species, but they do tend to darken with age. Just give them enough light and enjoy.

Gus

The wings on mine are green too. I figure it must be an age thing.

ditto here.
I thought I got a light colored clone, but I guess not.
I can't wait till it gets bigger and colors up to a deep purple black.:)

ditto here.
I thought I got a light colored clone, but I guess not.
I can't wait till it gets bigger and colors up to a deep purple black.:)

How long ago did you receive yours? What is light on yours? Green or like the biggest trap in my first picture? It seems they color up almost overnight, like magic! It happens very quickly.

xvart.

xvart, I received mine about a month ago.
it looks almost identical to yours.
I ended up repotting mine twice in a couple of days when I got it, so it just started growing well this past week or so. seems like a tough clone.
peace,
Zero

I have had great success with n black dragon.Mine is already 2 plus feet across and my traps are really started to darken up.Stevo.

I have had great success with n black dragon.Mine is already 2 plus feet across and my traps are really started to darken up.Stevo.

How big are the pitchers on your plant? Do you have the ability (and time, lol) to post pictures? I would love to see a larger one since the only ones I've seen are about the same size as mine.

xvart.

stevo, how did you get such a large plant?
I thought the black dragon clones were just recently released.
I would also like to see a pic of a large black dragon.

black dragon has been around for a long time...it was just recently mass released. Theres someone at pitcherplants that has like 12" pitchers on their plant

Back