What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Rain water in my S. purpurea normal?

I am a noob when it comes to this, but I have a new S. purpurea and it has rain water in it. It dint have any liquid in it when I bought it. Do I just leave it or do I pour it out? The pitchers hoods don't cover the top to keep water pot so is this normal?

Here is a pic of mine just for reference
CIMG4215.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, that is okay. In fact, that is what is supposed to happen in nature. That is why their hoods do not cover the pitcher like other sarr species.

xvart.

It's normal,it's what happenens in nature!I would just leave it like that.And welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Yes, Purps catch prey and then drown them in the rain water that the pitchers catch. Totally normal. Welcome to TF!

I'm not sure how the water got there in the first place, but fill all the others up with rainwater too.

I'm not sure how the water got there in the first place, but fill all the others up with rainwater too.

Haha, indeed.

Entirely normal. S. purpurea makes little water of it's own, so unlike other Sarracenia it's hoods are that way to catch rainwater. Don't dump it out.

The water got in it cause it rained on it. lol It is outside. I bring my plants inside to do photography (better lighting and I get more detail for some reason ??? )

Back