What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mother-of-Thousands

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Needless to say I have several (thousand) Mother-of-Thousand pups. If any one is interested just give me a PM and an offer, CP (preferable) or otherwise (if I even get any offers haha). I kind of wish there was a way to do something like a SASE but I wouldn't know how to package them...

This is the plant famous for making little plantlets at the edges of its leaves. It can be watered a lot or hardly at all and still grow like crazy. Nevertheless it is a neat plant and everone should have one... or two... or three... or...

And all of those who think I'm crazy for even posting this, I figure it can't hurt haha.

DISCLAIMER/WARNING
This plant can be VERY invasive... DO NOT put it in any compost bin. If you wish to despose of it burn it or else it will take over wherever it is placed. To be safe, remove flowers quickly after you get the enjoyment of looking at them to avoid spreading even more seed.

Still want one? haha

DISCLAIMER/WARNING
This plant can be VERY invasive... DO NOT put it in any compost bin. If you wish to despose of it burn it or else it will take over wherever it is placed.

Sorry burning does not work. I have had this plant for longer than I recall and in one of my more morbid moments I actually doused a pot of it in kerosene and lit it up. 3 months later it was back!!! And it was not anywhere near the other plants.

To be safe, remove flowers quickly after you get the enjoyment of looking at them to avoid spreading even more seed.

It flowers?!?!?!? Since when?!?!? NEver seen a flower in the whole time I have been growing it

And all of those who think I'm crazy for even posting this, I figure it can't hurt haha.

I don't know if the little pup buds would survive SASE, but yes, you ARE crazy for thinking I was ANYMORE of this plant. I received a few little buds from a freind a few months ago.

Now the plant is in three other pots. Mother Nature definitely wanted Mother of Thousands to stay in existence. :-))

I am sure that a few pup buds in a damp paper towel between some bubble wrap would survive fine in SASE

the MOT plants you sent me are doing well. i have around 13 pups growing up.
Alex

Really!? Even burning them doesn't work? wow... um... hmm... I guess I better find a better way to control these suckers then... Lots and lots of water will be my next test

Just do a search online for them and you will find it.

Oh.. ya it does flower... big red/orange/pink flowers that, once they topple over due to the weight, re-root like cuttings and spread a -insert profanity here- load of seed.

The offer is still open :jester:
-J.P.

It flowers?!?!?!? Since when?!?!? NEver seen a flower in the whole time I have been growing it

Maybe that has something to do with you SETTING IT ON FIRE. In my experience, after I set someone/something on fire, they're slightly less amicable towards me. :-))

That might have something to do with it... haha.

-J.P.

Mother of Thousands is this a Kalanchoe you are talking about? Has long thinner triangular leaves that are a molted green and brownish color, grows little plantlets alnog the edges of the leaves, and flowers in Winter?

Edax,

I have tried just about everything to kill these (the only advantage to having thousands is that you have a lot to experiment with LOL). Uprooting and burning works but just burning leaves the roots. I have frozen them (left outside through the winter in CO), dried them, submerged them, chopped them up and everything in between and something always survives. I even poured bleach over one and had survivors!! BEst control I have found is to just take the pot and dump it in the trash can. The garbage man will take it away and I don't care if it takes over the land fills LOL.

Est, while you have a point it only extends to that single pot. And I currently have it in only 4 pots but I have had as many as 30. So unless they communicate like Triffids or are psychically linked and all know to hate me then I can not explain why I have never seen a flower.

Hog,

Sounds like an accurate description. Except the part about flowering (for me at any rate)

I haven't gotten a flower either but if you look up pictures of them... they have them. Scary isnt it?

But yes that is the plant I am talking about. It is green/brown specked and has tiny plantlets grow from the leaf tips and edges. When they are young they are basically succulents but the leaves flatten out after a few years. I have seen two different genus names for them but I am honestly not sure what kind mine is : /

By the way you can call me:
-J.P. :D

Okay, J.P. it is. :-D

I always knew them as Kalanchoes. They are much different from the colorful flowering ones sold in department store garden centers. There are 2 different species that are common here in central Florida. One has thin leaves that remind me of a barbie pin. The other has larger more triangular leaves that become flatter and wider on older plants. Both produce a huge flush of red flowers that hang down starting in late December. They keep blooming well into March and later some times. At least here they do. The flowers die and there appears to be a "seed pod". However, I have never found any seed in them, ever. But the 1000's of plantlets that are produced more than make up for any lack of seed.

I've always wondered if a powerful rooting aid could be extracted from them. The plantlets grow roots almost immediately after being separated from their parents. If you cut up the stem of large plants, each little section will root quickly. No matter how violently you rip them out of the ground, they'll grow new roots if planted or even just left on the ground some where. So they must have something in them that causes this hyper rooting ability.

If you just sqeezed out their juice and dipped cuttings of other plants into it, it might promote rooting. You think?

Good thought. Many famous discoveries have been made by just such observations. Might want to try soaking 1/2 of a package of seeds in their juice and treating the rest of seeds the normal way. Would be interesting to learn if the seeds in the juice sprouted faster.

It might be worth a try... Do you think the cells in from which the new plants originate could be akin to stem cells? Probably not but there has to be something good that can come from them...

cphog, this might be a good thing to try. Almost like using willow-water for propagating things *finds he even gets roots on drosera leaf cuttings* It would be a worth while experiment!

-J.P.

Hmmm. Anyone try willow water on cps? I don't have a mother of thousands OR willow tree available.

I have! I used it when starting some D. multifida and at first didnt see any results but after waiting just a little bit I began to start to see roots forming underneath each little plantlet! Ilbasso has those :D The plants forked in less than 4 months... This was just a one time shot at doing it but it seems to have made a little bit of a difference. Maybe it is time for another experiment with a control, willow-water and MOT juice. Oddly enough now I can't propagate that plant to save my soul... I have no idea why but oh well.

-J.P.

Don't forget to have a control group of seed too with no special treatment.

What seed? The seed of CPs (besides maybe Drosophyllum) is going to germinate at high rates anyway if you give it the proper conditions. If you don't give it proper conditions, "additives" aren't going to matter.

Back